Friday, October 3, 2014

Trip to Titletown

If you know me, you know that I don't get highly excitable.  I am not one of those that squeal when they sit in a new car.  I don't jump up and down over the prospect of money.  I don't go crazy when we are leaving for a fun trip.  That's not me.  But this week, I was excited!  A date to Titletown!  With the Chairman!

The Chairman calls and informs me a few days ago that he has free tickets to a Packer game.  If you are from WI, this is a big deal.  A real big deal.  To get season tickets, you need to apply for them today and possibly your grandchildren might get a couple of seats long after you are pushing up daisies.  So someone the Chairman knows has season tickets and offered up free seats and parking. This may have been the only time in my life that I'll get into that stadium.

We arrive and filter in with a sea of green and gold and few speckles of brilliant purple.  Since I relocated to dairyland from Minnesnowta (spelling intended), it was a win-win for me!  But once I settled into section 129, row 57, and seat 27 I realized I'm a Packer fan.  How could I not be?  I was surrounded by delirious nut-cases.  I saw everything from extra-large body painted men to women sporting cheesehead bras under their rain jacket.  Green and gold hair and men wearing full football gear in the stands.  Crazy I say! It wasn't the frozen tundra this time.  Maybe more like the 'soakin' tundra as it rained a few times as we sat there.

The fans were actually very pleasant.  This guy directly in front of me was just a hoot.  He looked like a football player.  He had the latest iphone and all authentic NFL apparel.  He high-fived me with (too much) gusto at every touchdown (go check the score and you'll know why my hand was stinging).
One lady who visited with me in the extra-long lines for the bathroom chastised me for not tail-gating and making a whole day of the experience.  

Here's how you sit in there.  Yes, it's cozy. 



We stayed until the last Packer ran back into the tunnel just below where we were sitting.  We walked out of the stadium with hoarse throats and rabid fans.  Got into the car and drove with 78,054 other people for home.  Traffic was terrible for the first hour but no one seemed rattled.  We arrived home by 1:45 and the alarm sounding at 5:45 didn't sound pretty today.

So it was a date!  It was an experience! It was a win-win-win!  

3 comments:

  1. :-)
    My very first time to Wisconsin, we were heading to my aunt's north of Green Bay. We stopped at a Walmart on the outskirts of the city. The whole place was a ghost town- no traffic at all, no one in the store. We marveled at the deadness of Green Bay, sailed through Walmart and left. And fought the most insane traffic until we were well out of town. It was like those pix from Texas of everyone evacuating for that hurricane. We found out the next day that there'd been a home game. And Green Bay was certainly no ghost town! It's still one of my favorite places on earth! And I'm a mostly Packers fan, too.... only you wouldn't get me into a game. I actually hate having to watch football. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coat looks a bit on the purple side....

    ReplyDelete