Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Words this Wednesday

I've been working a bit in the kitchen just now and have some things I'd like write.  For some reason, I feel better after posting.  It's like I can hit the reprogram button and move on with my day and life.

Our household is facing an epidemic.  It's that time of the year.  Fruit fly season!  After the tomatoes are about done I always have some leftover guests that don't want to leave.  I "Googled" some fruit fly trap ideas last night and put three different versions out.  If you note on the picture below, the fruit flies are mocking me.  Maybe they know what I'm up to.  So I wildly clap above the glass and kill a couple of the 57 flying around the trap.

Speaking of the kitchen.  I made a purchase this week.  It was for one of these appliances.  It isn't that exact one, because I purchased mine at Costco.  I bought it to make my "Barf in a Blender" smoothies which I'm trying to have every day.  It saves getting out my big Bosch machine and adding the blender attachment and you get the drift.  An unknown attribute to me was the other attachment.  Voila!  It minces a bulb or two of garlic to perfection in seconds!  Considering I married into an Italian family that thinks garlic is essential to life, I'm well pleased.

Yes.  I decided a fire was necessary yesterday.  It sure takes the chill out of the air.
This morning I had a couple follow-up tests that my regular doctor requested.  It once again involved a mammogram.  "Anne" was the person that walked me through the experience once more and I liked her immediately.  Once again I had the scan.  Once again she returned saying the radiologist wanted ultrasound done.  Once again they looked and looked at a spot.  On the screen it looks like a lump.  Anne measured it this way and that.  She poked and prodded and I laid there with an amazing amount of terrified calm.  Once again she left me alone again for 15 minutes to speak with the radiologist, 

I was wishing that I could have worn deodorant.  I was wishing I wasn't sitting there.  I was wishing I didn't have lumps.  I was wishing I could go home and hug the cat and dog sleeping on their beds.   Thankfully she returned with the blessed news of it being a cyst.  She then took the time and showed me on the screen how it is different from malignancies in a few ways.  I once again walked down the hall with a feeling of guarded euphoria that will last for three months until my annual check once more.

Today is "Infant Loss Remembrance Day".  Next week it will be 18 years.  In no way can I compare losing our little 3-day preemie with losing a child or adult child.  That seems unconscionable.  However, this time of year always makes me pause.  It makes me think.  And yes, I sometimes still get sad wondering who she would have been.   But it makes me thankful for the One leading.  It makes me thankful for the life and family we have built since that day.  And it makes me realize that life is precious no matter how short it is. 

Well that's probably enough words for today...  I feel better for releasing them out of my mind and out my fingertips.  

1 comment:

  1. First of all, have I ever told you how much I love the fact that you know how to spell "voila". It truly makes me feel calmer inside.
    Second of all, Hooray for "just a cyst"...but I'm sorry you get those rotten things.
    Thirdly, I'm going to see if that little dealy-bobber in our kitchen will rough-chop garlic. We use it nearly every day... how fantastic to just have a jar in the fridge.
    And, of course, the wee one. I think a hug is in order. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete