Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dog Smarts

So how smart are they? I'm full of random thoughts so if you bear with me (or keep reading) we both might find out where this post will end up.

We've all seen them. "My (insert dog breed) is smarter than your honor student". Really? Now I'm a dog aficionado as much as the next guy (or in my case gal), but I don't care how smart your little whatever is. It is NOT smarter than an honor student. We take great joy that our children are slightly above average or actually future honor students since you asked. When I tuck them in I hear "I love you". They take out the garbage when asked. They sing wonderfully. And they share their little wonderful lives with us. The dog? Well even with a few certificates of accomplishment under her collar, she has no real agenda. Her day is comprised of sniffing around, eating, and waiting for someone to tell her what to do. Oh sure she's affectionate. Sweet. Rewarding. But lets face it... they're pretty simple. And not honor student material. I think people that have those stickers are not parents of children. When we had Lincoln sans kids, he was elevated to a higher level than he deserved. When we brought all these babies into the house, he was relegated to being a dog. But a well-cared for one at that. I still am impressed that I made time to walk him (and the Chairman too!) every day even with babies.

Today I needed to do a run to the post office. Then thought since I'm right by a nearby lake she might as well come and we'll go hiking. She does know the 'go for a ride????' phrase and hops in with enthusiasm but no clue where we're going. Which makes me wonder; does she think every time pull out of the driveway without her that we're going to the dog food store, the woods, to see her friend Mavrick, or the vet? Is that why she looks so sad? Oh boy. There they go again. Heading to go hike in the woods and I can't go. Meanies. Or... does she just not think... I must admit I take her to the place I get her food. Dogs are welcome. In fact, at a dinner table a few weeks ago, a good friend of mine stated with unwavering passion that she thinks it's 'dumb' for people to take their dog to the store with them. I just looked down at my plate. Well I do. Why? I dunno. I enjoy her company. Lisi acts like it's fun. She goes completely bananas behaves herself quite well. Last week one lady was so impressed that Lisi looked at the open bin of bones, then looked up at me and didn't touch a one of them as I didn't tell her she could (cough-cough... a little dog training paid off). So where am I going? I dunno. Maybe I'm disappointed she hasn't been naughty and there hasn't been a story to write. But that's a good thing, no?

Well enough random mind wanderings for the moment.... if enough of you are patiently reading this drivel...

4 comments:

  1. Read it to the end...enjoyed it, always do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW I liked you for a reason!! If Kay didn't shed, she'd go with me EVERYWHERE. Love the dog, love her personality, she's very obedient even w/out schooling . . why, I'd bet she's smarter than your dog!! Her tongue is black, and that is supposed to mean she's smart. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good of you to walk the Chairman every day even with babies around...

    ReplyDelete