Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The "Joy" of Shopping

Yep. I still don't like it. Yesterday, the Chairman asked if I would go to such-and-such mall in the area to check the sale racks for some items he likes. Today wasn't a jam-packed full day so I thought I'd oblige. Most wives would say, 'Wow! He WANTS me to go to the mall!!!'. I look at it about as exciting as needing to go to the dentist. And so I went. And made some quiet observations about the mall and the people inside of it. Lots of moms and babies and ladies ready to have babies. I remember feeling (more) sad when we were wanting kids and being there. Some good parenting. Some awful parenting. And some in between. I'm not sure where this comes into play, but there was this (slightly ditzy) mom in a store in front of me bragging loudly that her nearly 2-year old son wants to wear a certain type of hat so he looks like Michael Jackson. Really? He wanted it? Or did you??? And so... mall behavior. I pass a lot of stores. Why? Because no one is in them. I don't like going into a store if no one else is there. Too much pressure. People watching. What is she looking at? She's heading directly to the sale rack. Cheap lady. I wonder why her hair is like that? She must be older than she looks with that gray hair. And so... the shy-side of me (yes! there is one) doesn't go in. Unless someone else is there. And then when you do go in, 'Hi! How are you today?'. Do you really want to know? I have a slight ache on my left foot. I think it came after my walk yesterday. You see Lisi and I were racing around the pond and I was over a ditch and didn't know it and my foot came down hard on a rock. Other than that, I'm pretty good. Glad you asked!'. Why do they ask? Just say hi if nothing else. Don't make me respond with the obligatory, 'fine... and you?'. I know the one lady that asked me only did it so she can keep her job. She was about 22, bottle-bleached hair, dark lipstick, funky clothes, and thinking that I was an old has-been just trotting through. So then as they ring up the purchases for the Chairman... 'didn't you see the fleece? It's 50% off right now. Did you happen to see anything you like?'. No thank you. Today we're running a special! Could I interest you in a water bottle? It's 50% off with every purchase! Um. Do I look thirsty? Did you know I have a shelf at home with about 10 water bottles of various sizes, shapes, colors. I don't want a water bottle. Thank you. (Just ring up my purchases and let me leave!!!) I do think that some people like the banter. Those people could probably be described as friendly folks. I must not be. Friendly. But I think I am. It just comes off as kinda fake when they're trying to get another dollar or two out of your pocket.

And so... I'm off. With a new purchase adorning my body. You see I found these awesome fleece-lined wind pants for winter walking. And they were on sale for a brag price. So it was worth it. Kinda-sorta. But when it's 15 degrees with a stiff 10-15 mph wind out of the northwest, it'll feel good to have something on the hinder.

So... joy of joys. I'm done shopping!

ed. note: the Chairman isn't a demanding guy. I actually went at a mere suggestion, not him telling me to go. He often tells me I should be getting stuff for myself (how good is that?). And... I think he likes shopping for clothes just a little less than I do.

3 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD...are we twins? There is not to many of us out there like this. I had to take Kylie yesterday to the mall...UGH! The only reason I went was because her friends mom wouldn't take her. Plus she was on the hunt for jean skirts...they are in short supply these days...at least at the stores I shop in. That would be the grocery store. So we walk into the store(both of us wearing jean skirts), and the girl walks up and says, "Oh...are you looking for our jean skirts?" Kylie being the mature one, smiles sweetly and said, "yes". When all I wanted to do was retort, "What gave it away." Then apparently I kept sighing heavily, and Kylie said, "mom you need to stop that you are making me depressed." Ugh...I just don't get it all.

    Oh...and I don't go into stores unless there is someone in there either...even if I am with John.

    ps...don't know what is with all my LONG comments today. People are just posting things that I have alot to say about I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me three. i don't shop. i get headaches in malls. but, i used to work retail. yep. in a book store and other stores ( never clothing) and i actually DID enjoy chatting with people. You find out the neatest things!! I didn't look at it as "selling" something but rather as helping them find what they REALLY wanted! i love retail, then, just not shopping for really long stretches of time. in malls. in funky historical districts , yes! ok..i'm a long poster, too, Darcie, so we have that in common as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm loving the post and the comments both. I'm no shopper either, I can totally relate with you all. My husband, he's not either, & could care less that he wore the same pair of dress shoes for over 20 years. (no he dosen't believe me!)

    ReplyDelete