Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Library Science and Humble Pie

The saga continues. After checking the list again on-line after returning 'all' the books, I see we have another one on the loose. I should have known "Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman" would be trouble simply because of the title. I question the kids. Well again "Nobody" read it. And "Didn'tSeeIt" did too. So I march into the library. Instead of stopping at the counter to speak with "Yvonne", I went to the shelf. And there was a copy! The very one! Or so I thought. Did you know the library has three copies of "Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman"? Well it wasn't the one we checked out. "Yvonne" smiles knowingly at me and says, 'we'll just renew it. They usually show up'. So I feel irritated and smug at the same time just knowing that it was at the library since there was no chance it was at our house or in the crevices of the van.

It still bugs me. As you all may know I despise missing things. I look, but not too hard. It's at the library and they goofed. But it wasn't. And they didn't. You see I pulled off the sheets of our darling children's beds and voila! Tucked under the comforter of Child #1... "Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman"!!! So. I am grateful I didn't say bad words to "Yvonne". I'm grateful for a found book. And I'm wondering if the library is a source of all my gray hair?

So the bread rises. Panic set in. No bread in the house? Oh boy. Debelak's could live by bread alone it seems... at least the kids think so.

Yesterday was just miserable walking. And a pleasure at the same time. Biting wind that you're glad to get out of when it's over. If it weren't for the dog... I wouldn't be doing it.

Wasted too much time surfing FB pictures yesterday. So I must be doubly-productive today to make up for it.

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. I returned several library books about a month ago. Renewed 1 at the same time. Next time I check my account, it says I'm delinquent and 3 of my 4 books are overdue! I asked library staff to check into it. It's a little more difficult, apparently, because all of mine were transferred to this location. Now I see that 2 of the 3 were accounted for but "The Mixer Bible" is still showing overdue. I'm sure when I talk to the librarian, she will recall our conversation regarding this book specifically. Still. How often is this happening??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I have a book out that I finally had them mark as "lost". I saw, with my own eyes, when Kiah put it in the return slot. I believe from now on I will have them check the books in right in front of me and give me a receipt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda... I feel your pain. We kicked an Over the Hedge dvd out of the van on our Christmas trip... no idea where. It's $35 to replace it... no, I can't just buy one at Wal-Mart for $15 and turn it in. "That's not the way we do it." They are quite pleasant about it, but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing. I was postitive I brought the books back. I even called and asked them to check their shelves. Then I decided to go through the book case one at a time....and low and behold the 3 missing books! oooops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a good mom. I'm not. I've had so many lost & overdue books from the library in the past, that I gave up. I can't deal with it. We don't check anything out. It's like terrible, I know & I feel guilty over it, but the two little ones do get book-mobile in school. For some reason they feel more responsible for those for the most part. Especially when I threatened they couldn't bring them home from school!

    ReplyDelete