Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Musings

Time flies when you're having fun.  And so here we go again!

The MYP are on a huge mission to convince the Chairman and I that they absolutely must have cell phones.  Really?  Are people desperately trying to reach them?  From what I can tell, the phone does ring for them at times, but it isn't ringing off the hook.  Lots of websites are pulled up and waiting for me to come look when I go to the computer.  Ads are strategically left open at the table.  You get the point.  And no, all three won't be getting them at the same time.  And no, we still aren't sure when to actually start down this very winding road.

The Chairman and I had a few hours alone on Saturday.  We actually did one stop which was pre-planned.  And then we did something really crazy and spontaneous (for us).  We went to a coffee shop and sat and sipped coffee in a unique environment.  It was almost a date!  Whoot!  But it was very nice.  And I'm so glad that I still love to have time alone with the Chairman after seventeen years.

I was likened to a children's book this morning and I think the correlation was actually uncanny.  I am sure all you parents know the story "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and all the other titles.  You probably know where I'm going with this.  A daughter created a new title, "If you Give Your Mom a Piece of Toast" and then proceeded to tell me all that I did after she gave it to me.  I took the toast and saw that the small plates were all yet clean in the dishwasher.  I saw the dishwasher needed unloading.  So I put my toast on the plate and proceeded to empty the dishwasher.  As I put away the cups I realized I hadn't started the coffee.  I got that going and as I filled the carafe I realized that should make lunches.  And thus began another long line of tasks.  Until I was putting away the lunch items and saw the jam and realized that I wanted some toast!  I'm kind of like a mom with ADD in the morning.

I hesitate to write this, but for some reason, I feel moved to do so.  The other day as we left a parking lot, the vehicle next to us had a bumper sticker that said 'Abortion is Mean'.  Son #1 looked at me and asked simply, 'what really is abortion?'.  So I explained in 11-year old terms what it actually means (we feel honesty is vital).  After I explained it all, I added, 'we are so thankful that your birth mother chose what she did'.  He looked at me with his big, brown eyes and said, 'she could have done that?'.  Yes.  I almost felt like crying.  Then he said quietly, 'I'm glad she didn't because I would be missing all of this'.  "This" representing his life of parents and siblings and extended family and friends and basketball and baseball and hunting and a real reason for living.  I was glad it was dark out because I got more than misty-eyed.  Yes, he would have missed all of this.  And so would have we.  I'm once again grateful for being an adoptive mom.  And I'm once again grateful to be his mom.  Because life is worth living.  And he makes our life so much better.

6 comments: