Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday's thoughts...

She lies writhing on the sofa.  That after telling me right after g.m. that she didn't feel good.  Not feeling good led to feeling really rotten.  That led to looking inside the porcelain bowl a few times during the night.  Which then led to a fever and now writhing on the sofa with 'sore legs'.  And so goes my day.  Mothering a sick child instead of hopping into the van to run a lot of necessary errands.  But oh well.

You see "Steve" is coming.  Our relationship has blossomed.  Now he's sharing minute details about his life including the fact that his mother's birthday was yesterday.  You see "Steve" is the repairman for my oven.  It has now been out of commission for nearly a week.  The part has been on back order (due to wildly popular demand).  And he would have come yesterday, but it was 'mom's birthday' and you know how that is... as they get older you have to be there for them.  My hunch is that "Steve" doesn't have a wife.  Just sayin'...

The MYP have often complained about the bus driver that shuttles them to school.  I won't humor that thought anymore.  This morning about five minutes after the bus came and left, there was a knock on the door.  Son #1 bursts in and says 'I NEED MY LUNCH!'.  I ask, "did you miss the bus?".  No, she stopped at the corner and let me come home to get it!!!  Really?  So I look out the window.  There sits the idling bus.  And there races our son back to the bus with his lunch sack safely in his clutches.  And you think my school lunches are just mundane?  They're worth coming back for.  And they're even worth having a busload of unruly children wait for you!

So our special people left yesterday.  It's kinda funny how it all works.  We hear sometimes in advance that they will be coming.  We get bedrooms ready.   Come up with a ballpark meal plan (although this time I totally 'winged' it).  And they come!  It's wonderful and special and encouraging.  And before you know it, they are carrying their suitcases back to the car and off they go.  I feel almost sad to see them go.  But they had another family waiting patiently for their visit.  And so go they must.  As sweet as they are, one of them said to me after a walk together, 'you kinda feel like my mom'.  To which I thought within, 'and you just made me feel old saying that!'.   But that's how it should be.  We are mothers and sisters and brethren.  It's a wonderful thing.


1 comment:

  1. I would like to hear that compliment "you feel like my mom", even if it makes me feel old or not. It means I'm doing something right. Unless you know her mom...and it's not good. Oh well, special days to you. We are waiting on ours.

    ReplyDelete