Saturday, December 17, 2011

Some sentences

It snowed last night.  Not enough to build a snowman or make a snow angel.  But the road was white and it gives us hopes for more in the future!

We have special company here.  She is a niece and soon to be a Mrs.  And she will be making her home with a mighty-nice guy down where they race horses and eat chicken (or so I think).  I wish it weren't so far.  But that selfish thought is insignificant when you feel certain that she is going where she is supposed to be.  And that's all that matters.

Ping pong is the game of choice these days.  We have had the table for three years.  Only recently, have the MYP seemed interested in playing.  And now there's a lot of "pings" and "pongs" happening in the basement.  Oh,  that,  and a few accusations of something wrong and some fast stomping upstairs if the game isn't turning out how they'd like it to.

Someone dug out an old Pictionary game that I've had since college days.  Do the math.  It is approximately *gasp* 26 years old.  Some words are out of date.  Like litterbug and Popeye.  Some of our MYP didn't know who Popeye was.  I told them a big guy was always trying to steal his wife Olive Oil away.  Really mom?  Yes.  But spinach makes it all better.

There was some negativity last night.  The MYP were trying to make the other feel not so good.  It was getting annoying.  So finally I spewed off for a few seconds telling them that the next one that says something not-so-nice to the other would have to immediately go to their room for the night.  Wasn't long and one of them just slowly disappeared to a self-imposed place.  I was actually admiring that.  Maybe that's what we as adults need to do - just take ourselves away from a situation if we haven't a good thought or deed to do there.

And!  Yesterday at an upscale store, a lady called out "Miss!" and it was directed to me.  Really!  She called me "Miss".  But that wasn't what was so neat.  She wanted to know where I had purchased a knee-length jean skirt I was wearing.  I was almost embarrassed, but had to fess up.  "Goodwill".  She just waved her hand at me like oh great.  I said as she was turning away from me, 'But it is Ann Taylor Loft!', like that would help...

Someone very special was just given a diagnosis that she didn't want to hear.  I am sad for her and her family.  If you have your health, consider yourself very fortunate.  I think having a healthy body is the greatest gift taken for granted...

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree that we too often take our good health for granted. I try to remember often to thank my Maker for my own relatively robust condition, especially as I get older (now 62) and see my peers, and sometimes those much younger, dealing with all sorts of life-altering things. I'm well aware that anything could happen at any time to change that picture for me, but as long as I have the blessing of good health, I am VERY grateful for it.

    And as a fellow Goodwill shopper who recently came home with a brand new sweater top for $5.99, don't you just love that place?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to ping pong, but no one around here wants to, and I don't have a place for a table, so I guess I'm out of luck, and I'm thankful for good health and the good will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?! Your children don't know who Popeye is? Does that mean we let our children watch too many cartoons and movies? Ha. They love Popeye... and MJ goes to meeting in the town in IL where Popeye originated. You'll have to meet us down there for Popeye Days this year. ;) The kids would love it. But first let them watch a few Popeye cartoons on YouTube. Hee.

    ReplyDelete