Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wild and Free!

She left for just a little while.  So I thought I'd make the most of it.  

Hello!  This is your good friend Lisi!  I've been minding my manners lately.  I've been walking without a leash just fine.  I've even submitted to a stupid bath when the Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway told me to head upstairs.  I thought it was time to run wild and free.

As soon as I saw the van disappear around the corner, I was trying to decide what to do.  Just then, my friend Sasha strolled by with her big person.  Sasha is a crazy chocolate lab that sniffs at me too much, but she's a friend so I put up with it.  Her big lady is really nice and usually carries a treat to share with me.  We played for awhile and then they were leaving and so I decided to go with them.  We have this thing that makes my collar beep and worse yet, buzzes me if I'm not staying home.  Well the Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway hasn't put it on me for a very long time.  I'm smart and know there's no buzzing if there's no collar!  So off I went with them!  

We got done playing and then I decided to explore a bit.  I found a spot in the ditch where something had died.  It was black and slimy and had that weird-sweet smell.  So I rolled in it to take care of that rotten bath I had recently.  I sniffed awhile longer and then I heard it.  

A whistle.  A loud, frantic whistle that only comes from the Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway.  Oh no!  I'm busted.  She's come home earlier than I expected.  

There she was, standing in the back yard looking my way.  I ran across two yards and a field and came home trying to look sad and guilty at the same time.  She got down on her knees quickly and gave me a squeeze.  Then all of the sudden she got up looking mad as mad could be.  I think she realized I had ran away from home.  And I think she got her coat sleeve messed up with my slimy dead smell on my shoulder.  She yells like she often does.  "LISI!  NAUGHTY!"  Of course I am.  Why do you need to tell me.  

She marches back to the garage.  I slowly follow her.  I try to win her over and give a look like this:

It didn't work.  So I tried a trick:


Finally she laughed.  And scruffed up my ears a bit.  Yes, the Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway can come across as a mean ol' thing.  But deep down inside, I can win her over.  Time and time again.  

I think that awful red collar is going to be back around my neck when they leave for awhile.  Oh well.  Being wild and free is for the young.  I'm hitting middle age now.  I guess it was fun while it lasted...

1 comment:

  1. Swap line on the radio this AM:
    free 2 1/2 yo female golden retriever,
    good with kids,
    makes you wonder what "she did" ! You had best be good or....Craig's List may just have something simular! Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete