Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Musings

There that feels better.  Monday Musings.  That might feel better but the temperature sure doesn't.  I could do a screen print that it currently is -16 with 20-30 mph gusts making it feel like it is -50.  But I won't because it would take far too much effort and it might even be colder where you are sitting in your chair.  Well hopefully not inside!

So the schools did all that is right and reasonable.  They cancelled school already on Friday night for today.  Shouts of joy heralded up to the heavens when that decision was made.  And since our MYP are very reasonable and respect the frigid temperatures, they did what completely makes sense.  They organized a sleepover.  Yes, instead of sitting by the fire and playing games in your pjs all day, they thought it was a good idea to get parents to drive their friends over.

The Chairman wonders if more children will be out and about without school than if they actually just had school.  Coming from the SD standpoint that it often was extremely cold and extremely windy, we just dressed in navy blue parkas from Montgomery Ward and trudged off for another day of education.

I remember reading "The Long Winter" and Laura Ingalls Wilder writing about some of the prairie ladies that got a bit crazy out there.  Can you imagine?  The drafty places and small places they lived in?  The family all glummed together to stay warm?  The drifts coming through the door?  The endless wind that would never stop?  Eating salt pork and bread as your diet?  And no wireless?  Yes, we've got it easy.  And I'm not crazy... yet.

I would show you what I looked like last night heading out for a walk with the dog but I was loudly informed that 'moms don't take selfies'.

Well I hear some young ladies getting up and I promised pancakes, so this mom in the fuzzy-blue housecoat better start whipping up some batter.

Stay warm!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I have often pondered what it would have been like during "The Long Winter". Stir crazy would have been a very real possibility for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're following your command and trying to stay warm! Do a sunburn and sweating while gazing over the ocean blue count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how some woman were crazy having to listen to the wind all the time. I don't like the wind myself.

    ReplyDelete