Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday Musings

9/98
Two younger couples both wanting to be parents.  Two younger couples with empty arms.  Neither knows the others struggles but someone else does and assigns us to the same bread duty at convention.  A friendship develops as we refill bread trays.  A common bond because of a common desire.

7/99
Two babies are born six days apart.  One in Russia.  One in China.  Both are orphans for unknown reasons, yet desperately wanted by these couples.  We didn't know yet they were ours.  But we were praying for them already.

3/00
We get our referral on February 1st.  One month later our friends come to visit.  Why?  Because they wanted to look at our daughter's picture.  They wanted to share in the joys and the anguish of waiting.  Because they were waiting too.

4/00
We travel to China and return with our daughter.  Calls are made back and forth sharing and caring.

7/00
Our friends are in Russia and return with their new son who just turned a year old.  In the meantime, we are blessed with another addition that will soon officially become our 2nd child.  We meet them as soon as they get into our city and we share in an evening together we won't ever forget.
this picture always makes my heart smile

and so does this one
7/02
Since our last visit another baby girl has been added to both families.  One by adoption.  One by birth. My friend can tell I'm overwhelmed after my mom returns home.  She offers to come for a day.  She brings food and encouragement.  Our toddlers share lunch on the deck.  
Meanwhile I'm inside feeling overwhelmed and encouraged.  
Over the past years we have spent time with this couple at convention, at their home, at our home, and camping.  

This past weekend, our friends came to visit us.  With some people, it sometimes takes a bit of effort and time to get back in the groove of common ground.  With this couple, it seems you immediately jump back into where you just left off sharing about life.  Our MYP are nearly exactly the same ages.  We are going through the trenches and joys of parenting at the same pace.  We are desiring the very same things out of these young lives.  That they are and will be nice people.  

We had MMYP (many, many young people) over yesterday.  The ages are 14, 14, 14, 14, 13, 13, 12, 12, 11, and 9.  I may be biased, but aren't they lovely?
I never had a cousin.  In some ways, I wonder if the feelings I have for our friends are like that of a cousin.  I'll never know.  But one thing I do know.  I'm extremely thankful to be sharing in life with others that have gone through the exact same struggles and joys.  I love to think of the future and watching these MYP find their wings while we sip coffee and reminisce about the 'good old days'.   Because they have been very good so far.  

3 comments:

  1. I love this, there is a bond between adoptive parents that others do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my- this one just melted me from the inside out!
    And in that first pic- you all 4 look like teenagers!

    ReplyDelete