Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesday Words

Approximately 10 or 11 years ago, I was in the throes of parenting toddlers and a baby.  I mentioned to someone ahead of me in this parenting gig that I was just.  plain.  exhausted.  I was looking for sympathy and encouragement since her children were young teens and could care for their own basic needs.  But sympathy I did not get.  Her response, 'you may be physically exhausted now, but as they get older, you will be mentally exhausted'.  I kinda scoffed inside.

Fast forward to today.  We have two teens and a wanna-be teen.  They can tie their shoes and feed themselves and get up with their own alarm clocks.  I love these growing MYP more than I did when they were chubby toddlers.  But I think about them more.

What do I mean by that?  Yes, I think about them more.  I think of their lives and futures and struggles in life.  In the next five and more years, there will be life-long choices that will be made.  First jobs.  Learning to drive.  Choosing post-high school options.  It almost boggles my mind.  Yes, I think about them and their choices more.

Now it is my turn to look at new parents.  I share in the thrill of new babies and milestones the little ones are making.  But now I see it all through the jaded eyes of a parent with MYP.  Those precious little souls will be growing and changing by the day and soon they will be MYP with their own ideas and dreams and values.

But I want to let you in on a little secret.  I love parenting teens.  I love conversations with them.  I love having one of them clamour to come along with me on a walk so they can have 'alone time' with mom.  I love watching them participate in sports.  I love seeing growth - both physically and emotionally.  I love the way they try to throw an insult my way but feel the love behind it.  I love having a teenage son come home from school and literally body-slam me across the floor to a corner and tell me that's how football players tackle.  I love the slight eye-roll when I come out of the bedroom with what I feel an acceptable thing to wear and get marched back to my room to make another choice.

Yesterday I was mindlessly thumbing through a catalog that came in the mail.  I said, 'wow, that's cute!  Do you think I would look good in this?'  The response?  "Yes!... well actually no.  It would look a lot better on someone like Sarah (a relative) who is younger.  That just looks too cheerful for you."

It looks too cheerful for me?  Seriously?  Apparently mothers don't come across as real cheerful.

To keep an even playing field, I've had my fun too.  Yesterday, I sent some day-old egg salad to school in a lunch bag.  Apparently the smell of onions and eggs after a day comes across as bad gas.  Who knew?  They better be careful because I have some two-day old chili in the fridge and that could make for a very interesting afternoon if you get my drift...

So if your children are wee little babes in arms, or are toddlers crawling up on your lap asking for one more reading of 'Goodnight Moon', enjoy it.  And if your children are MYP, enjoy it.  They are simply bigger versions of what they were before - except they have opinions and ideas and dreams.  But the common factor between the young and the teens is exactly the same.  They want to feel safe and loved and heard - just the size and packaging are a bit different.





4 comments:

  1. I get your drift, alright, and hope it keeps drifting on by. I STILL get marched back to my room to change my clothes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. While my kids truly are good kids, I must admit to liking the baby/toddler stage a bit more. Sometimes the emotional pull of the teenage years is nothing but hard. Thanks for your beautiful take on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teens are nearly gone. I've some hard years, and some good ones. I still get the "you're wearing THAT" once in a while. but not very often. I liked the elementary years the best. A favorite aunt once told me to make the most of them, "you don't think it, but these are the best years of your life" and they were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your MYP did not pull the short straw in the parent draw, I can tell you that. I love how you love them.
    (And have often had those same thoughts when watching someone with they're baby- These are the less stressful days. I guess when you watch, up close and personal the parenting probs process and see all stages at once, you understand where some of the gray hair comes from!)
    Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete