Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Up and at 'em!


The alarm goes off.  The Chairman gently nudges me to turn it off.  Ugh.  Six o'clock came early today.  I turn it off.  Wow, the house is sure quiet and the furnace hasn't kicked in.  I put on my fuzzy purple bathrobe (that you've all seen) REI slippers and shuffle out to the hall.  I check the programmable thermostat.  What?  The time is off.  Weird.  I punch a few buttons to correct the time and get the furnace firing up.  

Lisi comes walking toward me with glee.  Breakfast time!  One of her two favorite times of the day!  I go feed her.  Then realize it is too quiet upstairs.  I run up the stairs and knock on daughter #1's door.  "GET UP!  You must not have set your alarm!"

I go back to the kitchen and start making her lunch.  "Mom?  Why did you wake me up at 5:15?"  What?  I whirl around and look at the microwave.  It says 5:15.  I look at the oven.  It says 5:15.  What in the... oh good grief.  My alarm clock time must have gotten changed somehow when I set it.  

 I suddenly feel reeeeally tired.  I wander to the living room and plop down on the sofa for a quick nap.  It doesn't come because I'm worried that daughter #1's alarm won't go off and she'll miss the bus and it will be one hot mess of a start to a Tuesday.

It seems kind of interesting to me how I was so convinced the programmable thermostat was wrong and it never even occurred to me that maybe the problem was me and not the thermostat.  I also find it interesting that even though it was an hour earlier, Lisi reacted exactly the same.  It's breakfast time no matter the hour! 

Please don't call me this afternoon.  I have a hunch a nap might be in my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment