Monday, September 1, 2014

Monday Musings

'Twas the last day of summer,
when all through this place,
there were smiles and frowns
all over the face.

Pencils were sharpened,
and binders were bought,
Backpacks were loaded,
and lunches were sought.

The bus will come early,
late nights are o'er,
the alarm will be awful
of that I am sure.

I'll wave them goodbye,
or maybe I'll not.
Because they aren't little,
but I'll still miss them a lot.  

I better stop with the prose.  (Ed note:  an alert reader just informed me early this morning that prose is actually used incorrectly here.  I probably should call it for what it is - poetry.)  (Ed note #2:  the aforementioned alert reader is a brilliant man who also hales from the state of KY.  So all those stereotypes of the bluegrass state are probably incorrect.)  Now back to regular programming.  Can you tell I just typed it up in about two minutes without much thought?  You can?  I figured.

Yes, summer of 2014 is over after today.  It has been once again a very good one.  We accomplished much.  We had fun.  We have misgivings about not doing thus and such.  There have been many, many sleepovers and MYP coming to and fro.  I'm thankful for a worn welcome mat.  And I'll be thankful for quieter days ahead.

Daughter #2 had a bit of an extra privilege this past week for two days.


But after working with the Chairman full time the first three days of the week and then being gone for two days/nights right after, I started to have that ache in my heart.  You know the feeling when your firstborn goes to kindergarten?  Yes, it was the same.  I missed her deeply.  In fact, I was in a store and a song came on over the speaker that I knew she liked and I will admit it made my eyes feel damp.  It sure is wonderful to have the wagons circled again and the family all here.  Do not even begin to tell me about young people heading off to college.  One of my friends texted me a photo of her and her son as they were ready to leave him and just looking at that nearly made me weep.  Sniff.

I'm a bit put off on all the targeted advertising we see on the internet.  One of the things that keeps popping up for me is in all caps.  "TOP 3 EXERCISES TO LOSE BELLY FAT!!!".  Thanks for boosting my self esteem.  

One of the MYP is turning into either a snark or a comedian.  If you have no problem being made fun of, well then I'd probably call it comedy.  Last night we were having a wonderful time just chatting along on her bed.  Then she suddenly says, 'Listen!  Do you hear that?'.  I pause.  I strain.  I am trying to hear something.  Then she says, 'It's the beautiful silence of you not talking.'.  Well good night to you then!

I was giving some slightly complicated instructions to her this week about pulling some bread and rolls out of the oven as I needed to play shuttle service for another one of the MYP.  Some needed to be tipped over.  Some needed out sooner... etc She looks at me and says, 'can't we just let them burn?'  Um.  No.

Today I saw this t-shirt worn by a guy that wasn't the sharpest tack on the bulletin board.  I was trying to figure out if someone gave it to him because of who he was or if he thought he was some kind of special and thought it was for everyone else.  No matter, it made me smile.
We ladies went to our local "Parade of Homes" today.  I thought I found our next humble abode but unfortunately, it was already sold for 1.2 million in coin.  Oh well.  Maybe next year.  
Was nice to have some extra company come along with us.  

Plastic fake wine in glasses is always fun, right?  
Well I'm Mused out.  We need to make the most of our final day of summer.  Some day I know for sure these will have been 'the good old days'.

1 comment:

  1. I had a busy summer. No more sending kids off to school. I'm lucky that my college student is attending the college in our town and studying on my couch this minute.

    ReplyDelete