Thursday, November 6, 2014

Keeping it real (pets edition)

We have a couple furry friends that share our days with us.  Regular readers will know they are a special part of our life.  They offer up unconditional love and an occasional mouse on the front doorstep.  We are smitten.  I mean just look at them:


However, pet ownership doesn't come without a cost.  Food.  Vet bills.  Boarding.  You name it.  But there are other issues.

I tend to like a clean house.  Lisi and Simba have limited house privileges.  But we still deal with muddy paws and cat and dog hair and worse.  This week Lisi has been sick.  Like I have to run out to the field to 'go' right now!  However, the other night she was sleeping on her bed in the kitchen.  The night was approximately eight hours.  She had to 'go' but no one was up.  I think you know what happened.  She spent two more nights in the garage and still had problems.  Major ick.

If anyone ever asks for my advice about getting a pet, I usually say 'don't do it'!  There is constant work.  You'll be tied down.  You'll have expenses.  You'll be continually cleaning your house to keep it neat and free of hair and dirt and sometimes worse.

However, there are rewards.   They are sweet and soft and loving.  Each and every morning as I sit and read I have company.  One is on my lap purring and one at my feet.  The house never feels empty when I'm home alone.  My feel-good endorphins just surge when I lay on the rug and pet one of these sweeties.

Today I was at the nearby grocery store picking up a few items.  Across the way I see a neighbor lady and her husband I meet several times a week walking.  She walks up to me and says with a smile, 'where's Lisi?'.  I said, well she's at home and she's been sick for a few days.  "Meg" whirls around and yells across the freezer aisle, 'Mike!  Lisi is sick!!!'.  Mike scurries over and asks for details.  They think Lisi is the 'cat's meow' (pun intended) and they don't even know she writes stories!  Heh.

So today I'm making up rice, chicken, pumpkin, and plain yogurt concoctions to stop this vicious cycle (mess) of tummy trouble.  If you are feeling thoughtful or generous, you could always over and help a bit!  And if you are thinking of adopting a pet,  just give me a call.  I will tell you the harsh realities and utter joy of having them.

2 comments:

  1. And, after the fact now, I'm glad L is feeling better!
    I'm glad for the places where we go that we can enjoy pets...and I always admire the people who work hard to keep it clean where the people and the pets share the space!
    Love that top pic!

    ReplyDelete