Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Twenty short years

Twenty short years.  That's what it has been.  It also has been twenty long years.  Life is funny like that.

Today we celebrate 20 years of marriage.  The Chairman and I.  Twenty-years ago I had never heard of blogs or thought of my beloved as a "Chairman".  Yet here we are.
And here we were then.  November 5, 1994.  Stillwater Minnesota.

I'm not a romantic.  I don't hardly know how to swoon.  I'm not swept off my feet by flowers or chocolates or gushy cards.  However, on a day like this, it does make me pause and think about my love.  Since leaving the land of 10,000 lakes and relocating to dairyland, I've changed in some incredible ways and yet have stayed the same.

The Chairman has taught me many things.  He's taught me how to reach out to others more.  He's taught me to appreciate diversity.  He's taught me to get out of my comfort zone to try new things such as skiing or enjoying football.  He's taught me to be more adventurous in my eating and cooking.  And he's taught me how to love and give without reserve.

Twenty-years ago, we had no idea the path we would travel.  We didn't know about the deep losses and joys and everything in between.  We didn't know how our unique family would come to be or that we would have furry friends sharing our lives.  I didn't know how much I would love to live where I do and love the friends that live here.  But we did know this..  we knew we would love each other.

In our vows, the judge had us recite that we would love each other 'as long as we travel life's pathway together'.  And we have.  And we will... 'til death do we part.

2 comments:

  1. Young love is good....old love is better. Wishing you many more anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary from your Oklaoma blog friend. Janie

    ReplyDelete