Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Puppy puke

Ok, gross title. But does any dog people out there know what to do about carsickness in dogs? I've had to and selected to take Lisi on numerous ocassions to different places (vet, school, walk at a park). But without fail, she gets part way there and then does a big heave-ho and out comes lunch or supper or whatever the meal was beforehand. I've tried to even limit food intake before the trip and she still urps up what is there. She usually has been in her crate in the back of the van. One time I did hold her in the back seat (Duane was driving of course, not me) and she did ok, but had rumblies in the tumbly.

Anywhoo, any suggestions short of always leaving her home or leaving the house armed with towels and paper towels...

4 comments:

  1. Well, she might outgrow it. But maybe not. You can talk to your vet about it- there are motion sickness tabs for pets as well as people! The down side to that is it might knock her out. You'd have to work on the dosage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on that one. ;) That was helpful, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps- I would love it if you did come over! Bring the kids! Bring the dog! Well, maybe not Lisi. However, all things considered- you need to see Uncle A first! I think I'd throw a right fit if my family went to see someone else before they came here... well, it would depend on who it was, I guess. Anyway, it's been really neat to get to know you all better this way. Knowing some of D's family, I'm doubly happy to get better acquainted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- I had the same problem with Jake- and took him to the vet about it, and the vet said that as puppies grow, so does their inner ear- which in humans, this inner ear can make us puke too- it helps our bodies regulate/detect movement- so as puppies are growing, it is common for them to get carsick- but Jake outgrew it- don't remember exactly when- but wasn't too long! Hopefully Lisi does too!

    ReplyDelete