Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Staring down death and cucumber peels

Greetings.  I'm very new at this writing thing, but have heard from Lisi that it is a good place to come and complain about the care given around here.  This is Beanie Bart Jr.  I am a Betta fish.  This family lovingly adopted me about two months ago.  Life has been swimmingly good.  The lady here makes sure my water is clean and just the right temperature.  They religiously feed me morning and night the perfect amount.  They even hold up mirrors and pictures of fish to help me get exercise so I live a long and prosperous life.  Until...

... tonight.  I was swimming around near the top looking and hoping another pebble of food would miraculously drop down from above.  It didn't.  But something else happened.  These big hands surrounded my cozy home and whisked me over to the other side of the room by the kitchen sink.  Soon I knew what was happening.  The lady put me in a small little bowl and then gave my house a good cleaning.  She does this every week.  Sucks up my dirty stuff, wipes down the walls, rearranges the furnishings like she does in her own house and then... it happened.

She picked up my little bowl of water with cute little ol' me in it and this is what I saw:
An abyss.  And I slipped right down to the bottom.  Inside that super-scary realm were unspeakable and dirty things.  Cucumber peelings, lettuce leaves, rotten tomatoes, and lots of slime.  I heard a scream from above.  I started to flop.  I think I even saw a light far in the distance.  So this is how I'm gonna die!  HELP!  HELP!  HELP!  I didn't know what to do.  I flopped and flopped and this humongous hand was scooping frantically.  She scoops out some of the goo.  She comes back for more.  I think she's looking for me, but I'm worried that huge hand is going to squish me.  She feels slowly around.  Pulls out more icky stuff.  Then finally!  Finally!!!  She scoops me up.  Ouch!  She pulled on my tail feathers.  They rip a bit.  Oh well.  So much for looking magnificent.  I might have a chance here.  She dumps me in a pail of water.  Lettuce is floating along beside me.  Then she takes me quickly back to my home and plops me in there.

I collapse at the bottom.  All is see is these huge eyes lurking through the glass.  She looks terrified.  But that lady has no clue how scary it was for me in that big abyss of yuck.  I am sooooo thankful to be home.  I finally get enough energy to swim slowly.  Then I feel a hunger pang and head for the top.  That lady looks utterly relieved and gives me a couple pebbles.  Whew!  We both lived to tell it.  Here's a picture of me after the saga.  Well, back to swimming and making bubble nests.  And feeling very thankful for living to tell it!

7 comments:

  1. Our former beta sends sympathy (I'm sure)! Never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor fish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha...great story and I love the term "bubble nests" !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Another writer in your house LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i too like your style bubba..or bubbles or..sorry. i'm terrible with remembering names. SOOO glad your pretty fins seem fine and best of all you're alive! keep writing ..it's a good outlet for stress. but, most days you're maybe not too stressed..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tail feathers?? haha! Glad you survived such a harrowing, near-death experience, Berty... oops, I mean Beanie Bart... and I hope we get to hear from you again sometime, now that things are once again going swimmingly in your watery world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Beanie Bart Jr- 3 cheers for rescued fish!!! Just don't get suicidal and jump out... like some fish I know!

    ReplyDelete