Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Musings

Not feeling up to my normal silly self today.  But will pen type a post anyway.

I had an achy feeling on my arm a few days ago.  Finally when getting ready for a shower, I wanted to check out the bruise that was there and try to figure out where it came from.  There was no bruise.  There was a big, happy wood tick sucking out my juices.  Egads.  I did what any sensible person would do.  I yanked him out as quick as I could.  Some skin came off with him.  But I got all his parts.  Then I washed him down the drain - followed by lots and lots of very hot water.  About four hours later the Chairman is yelling at an alarming decibel in the bathroom.  'THERE'S A TICK IN HERE!!!'.  Apparently torrents of hot, steaming water is no match to those little guys.  And all you 'run to the doctor to get Lyme medicine' people out there.  My achy arm is slowly dissipating.

I must look like I have a low self-esteem and in need of compliments.  Or maybe I dress so fashionably, people can hardly keep from commenting (uh-huh).  A sweet lady at the door of Costco asked me where I got the long, black knit skirt with a tie-dye border.  I told her off a clearance rack about two years ago.  She then added, 'you are very fashionable!'.  (If you knew me, you would probably be chuckling by now.)

The girl portion of the MYP had their piano recital this past weekend.  Daughter #1 had this attitude:

Daughter #2 had butterflies:
But she did eventually smile and nailed "Fiesta de Seville"
We went to our first-ever barbershop concert this weekend because two of our talented friends were singing.  My head was actually spinning with all the harmonizing.  Those guys that do that tend to enjoy the limelight and some mediocre jokes as well.  A good time was had by all.

And finally and more importantly.  There is a lot of sadness in the state south of ours.  A 42-year young lady just won her final battle and is now free of her cancer-ridden body.  Most of you know that the faith we put our trust in is not organized.  We truly are a family and when we hear about sadness, we also are sad.  I hardly knew her personally.  But last summer at a gathering, we sat directly across the aisle from her and her husband.  By about the third day I mustered up the courage to go talk with her.  I said we had watched her fight with cancer on FB from afar.  We had personally gone through the journey of cancer within our family.  We talked about the natural/medical route.  We talked about the MYP.  We talked about common people we both know and love.  It ended up being a much longer conversation than I anticipated.  As we were ready to end the conversation, she looked at me directly and said, 'I am so glad we had this time to talk'.  Me too Kendra, me too.

Ten days ago on FB, we became 'friends'.  I told her that I was thinking of all the lives she was touching these days - including me.  She responded by thanking me and said she got through it the first time and would again - God willing.  Well God was willing.  But he was willing for her to not be in pain.  To not be sick.  And to be where there wouldn't be sickness or tears anymore.  I'm just thankful that we don't have to be filled with needless sorrow - because He cares today and will again tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you weren't feeling silly today, because your words are rich and touching! ( But I like a dose of silly, too )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...feeling loss even thought I didn't know her personally. What a testimony she had that was shared and inspired us all.

    Glad you found your tick. :-/ Those thing are no good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just hard to believe. Makes me want to go home and hug my mom. Really bad!

    BTW, flushing ticks down the toilet gets rid of them permanently. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just studied about Paul telling Timothy "I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand". It is hard to lose loved ones. When one fights cancer and wins a few more years, there is joy. But when one gives up on this life to go on to THAT life, there is sorrow but also greater joy. In this area is one gaining a few more yrs, and one nearing the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry you lost a new friend..been thinking about it all too. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She shared herself and her experience with everyone. A true gift. I have learned so much from her.

    ReplyDelete