Friday, May 9, 2014

Feral Friday

Why feral?  Wild cats usually come to mind.  We must have something wild out there as our tomcat that loves to be cuddled came back late last week with an injury and possibly wounded pride.  After watching him limp and seeing something get progressively worse on his leg, I finally took him to the vet and discovered he has a bad leg infection due to a bite.  He was given strict instructions to stay indoors for at least three days and behave himself.  That's like keeping a lion in a small cage.  After day 1 1/2, he went outside because I couldn't take the constant meowing and dirty looks.  He was 'hunting' the fish right before he got the boot.
Speaking of animals, if you have one minute, you can watch Lisi's favorite thing to do lately.  Hide and Seek!  I tell her to wait out of sight and go hide an object and then give her a release command to find it somewhere.  Not that riveting, but a weird talent she has.

A few weeks ago, daughter #2 was to write a small summary of what she would like to potentially do with her life.  She decided to write it up in poem form.  I try to not brag, but I'm impressed an 11-year old can do this.  And yes, her continual goal is still to be an ER nurse.  Maybe some day I'll tuck it in a card as she graduates from nursing school.

If you can stand the sight of gushing blood,
  or wash a wound in soapy suds,
If you can wake up with sirens blaring,
  or help a patient and be caring,
If you can help someone live in just a couple of minutes,
  or get them what they need with no sort of limit,

If you can be ready for anyone coming in,
  and apply stitches to someone's cracked-open chin,
If you can calm down a patient and say, "it's okay",
  and give them hat they need in any sort of way,
If you can heal someone's heart and not take credit,
  but keep in mind that you still did it,

If you can never give up on someone who's dying,
  and keep on working without crying,
If you can cheer someone up that is in great pain,
  and help someone up who has a cane,
If you can watch someone walk away,
  and know that you saved a life that day,

Then, you can be a nurse some day!

Speaking of that child... they just had a volleyball tournament last night.  They made it to the championship game and lost.  I honestly was disappointed as I thought my raucous cheering would have helped.  But the girls?  They were thrilled with 2nd place.  Lesson learned by mom.

Speaking of mothers... Happy Mother's Day!  I could get all schmaltzy again and say how thankful I am to be a mom to the MYP.  I could say how much I value the example in my own mom, mother-in-law, and others.  But I won't this time.  I will leave you with this and hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  I know what I'll be doing!

2 comments: