Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Taking time this Tuesday

More work beckons, but I'll stop to type a line.  I felt a bit disjointed yesterday for some reason.  After re-reading my Monday Musings I honestly feel it is not up to the standards you would expect from the Chairman and Co.  I'll try to be better.  Promise.

Last Saturday (the last day I was 48), I had family come see us!
my big sis and I

just a hunch, but I think little sister purposely cut off big sister

they get credit for my existence and for patience with a stubborn little girl
We had lunch at a nice restaurant and then took a drive down memory lane.  You see I was born in this fine city.  I lived here until I was the ripe old age of six and then we moved west to the prairie land of South Dakota.  My parents (and my sister and I) wanted to see where we used to live, so we drove by the old houses and neighborhoods.  This was the first place I called home.  It looks smaller now than it used to.  I have a vivid memory of taking my new doll buggy after birthday #3 or 4 and proudly walking down the sidewalk.

 Here is home #2 that we moved to when I was about four.  It boasted two extra bedrooms and a large garage.  Jill Johnson lived next door in that two-story you can see.  She and I ate a whole bag of marshmallows once to see if we could get fatter.  I remember feeling quite ill.
I also remember swinging a baseball bat in the garage one day and smashed the light bulb to smithereens.  My dear and most patient mother came around the corner and said, 'what happened?'  I remember saying, 'the light bulb just exploded when I was in here' all the while holding a baseball bat.  I don't remember getting scolded for lying, but I do remember hearing her quietly telling me about being truthful as we cleaned up the shards of glass.  I also remember late-night games of kick-the-can in the street and getting bit on the face by two mean german shepherds that lived a block away.  Luckily it didn't ruin my shot at beauty school.

Bald eagles have been spotted in our neighborhood for the first time!  Exciting stuff.  I hope they don't eat Simba some day.  Then I won't think they are so cool.

Dogs are getting smarter in these parts too.  This one just drove to Costco.  (note:  my camera shadow and wisp of hair)

And I saw this recently.  There's something about young boys and crazy ideas that I find completely amusing.

And finally and most importantly, the dear relative that we love passed away last night after a terrific struggle with cancer.  She just turned 67.  We will miss her as dearly as she was.  This photo was taken when she traveled to Texas to be with my sister-in-law who also was fighting cancer and doctoring there.  Now both are gone and the losses are real.  

Well I've taken enough time of your time on this Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of your family…we had just moved here I think when your SIL passed away.

    ReplyDelete