Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday Musings

Sorry I'm a bit late.  In case you didn't know, this is a national holiday.  Memorial Day.  My dear belated Grandma always called this Decoration Day.  I was slightly confused as a youngster.  What were we decorating?  She took it seriously.  She knew of those that had died in past wars.  Seems now we look at Memorial Day as the official kick-off to summer and a good day to eat barbecue.   It's been nice to have a stay-cation this weekend.

And it was nice to have company come as well!  Thirty years ago I was sleeping in near-empty dorm room and had just finished my first year of college.  My slightly nice older brother was to graduate from that same university in a couple of hours.  The dorm room phone rang.  My mom was euphorically yelling into the phone.  'SARAH IS HERE!!!'  In my sleepy state I say, 'huh?  what?'.  'SARAH IS HERE!  The baby is born!'  OH!!!!!  I was on clouds as it was the best possible thing.  I always loved babies.  But having them born in your own family and the first baby born since I was 19 years before and oh my!  It's been wonderful every since.  Really....
She's made some very good choices all through the years.  Sitting by her side is one of them (no, not the pip-squeak photobomber on the right).

I've got a couple of non-paid endorsments to offer up to the readers of the Chairman and Co.  You see our family has been hit with a bit of a recession just like a lot of other folks.  Instead of hiring out window washers, and lawn mowers, etc., we are taking care of business ourselves these days.  The MYP have been always sometimes willing to help as well.  A couple days ago I realized we needed a clearer vision when looking out the windows.  We took off the screens and washed the windows from the inside and outside.  And how?  With a damp Norwex Enviro cloth and a dry window cloth.  And that was it!  No streaking.  It went so quick!  No chemicals or paper towels or whatnot.  And no, this isn't a paid endorsement.  

Another item that has proved itself is the men's Costco dress shirts.  The Chairman has about eight different ones.  They wear like iron (whatever that saying means).  They rarely need an iron!  And their price is a reasonable $17.99 for a quality shirt.  And if some high-level management from Costco is reading this, you can send my endorsement check to... (oh never mind).

Last night I had to (ahem) use the water closet in the night.  It struck me how utterly quiet it is during the night when the birds are so loud during the day!  I'm glad they don't know a thing about the night shift.

And!  With all this perfect weather, we have no mosquitoes here!  Yet.  

And speaking of creepy-crawlies.  Last night I woke up a couple times in the night feeling something.  I thought it was a dream.  I continued to sleep then woke up again thinking something just wasn't right.  I touched my arm and then I knew... a rotten tick.  Luckily, he hadn't tasted my blood quite yet.  But that kind of took my sleep away for a wee bit wondering if he had any friends that had joined us in bed.

Well I'm mused out.  It's a holiday you know and I think I need to relax some more...

3 comments:

  1. GIlbert and i were just talking today too about how his mom and my grandma used to call it Decoration Day. I know my folks called it Memorial Day. have to do a Bing on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We "visited" them on "Decoration Day!" <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying checking in once in a while! :)

    ReplyDelete