Sunday, January 4, 2009

Randomness

* The Chairman has been teaching our kids how to play Rook. He was inspired when he saw our friend's just 7-year old doing very well on NY's Eve. So now he's explaining bidding, trump, sloughing... and they are getting it. All three of them!

* Tomorrow we're back to the schedule. Life is funny. For weeks I'd look at the calendar and feel excited and anxious for the kids to be done for two weeks. And now I'm looking at the calendar and feel excited and anxious that we have a month of school with no breaks! Variety is the spice of life...?

* We had no huge trip over the break. No grandiose plans. Just simply busy nearly every day with friends, family, fun... and it was nice. All of it. Again, we're blessed for many reasons.

* We got unexpected news a couple of days ago. Some expected. The unexpected makes me... melancholy. More sad than not sad. But usually, plans that are made are for the best.

* I have pretended for 14 years that I really don't care for the Vikings anymore. And in some respects I don't. But I keep peeking at NFL.com tonight wondering what the wild card playoff score is. So I guess I do care. Don't tell anyone in Wisconsin that! But I see it really doesn't matter as they lost...

* A year ago we were on a cruise ship bound for Cabo. That sure was nice - especially with family on board with us. We'll have to wait a bit for our winter getaway this time...

* We have an eliptical set up now! I still prefer to walk rain/snow/sleet/hail. But it'll be nice to have that option anyway! I think the Chairman will use it more than I will.

* And speaking of which, I've been amused, pleased, surprised, and just plain in adoration of the big C. You see Trevor has had a project where "Amanda the Panda" goes to work with a working parent (my work doesn't count I guess!) and then they journal what they do together for a week and pictures are taken at the workplace and then the kids in the 3rd grade class learn all about different careers and it is 'fun' since Amanda gets to go along. Well, back in dating days I had no idea how Mr. C. would be with such frivilous stuff. But you know what? He takes it all very seriously knowing it is for one of our kids. The dedication I find very attractive.

* My mom brought my scrapbook over last week. It holds most all of my baby cards, hospital bands and the like. I was thumbing through the pages and came across one from "Robert, Laura, and Susan Debelak" that offered congratulations for the new baby girl. Isn't that just fascinating? They had no idea that I'd be a daughter-in-law, the wife of the son that wouldn't be born for another 3 years, the mother of their grandchildren. Life is just... plain... interesting!

* The bread just came out of the oven. Ahhhh... the smells. And ammunition for the sandwiches I soon need to pack for the week ahead.

4 comments:

  1. I like your randomness posts the best. I think there are too many ssss in there but who's counting. I feel a little sad too. I'm glad to be going back to school. I have my sights set on summer. Going back is one day closer to warmer weather... I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, I like your "random" posts too!
    The moments, the days. Just life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the things that could be said and I'm going to say- Yeah, I pretend to not care about football, either- but I sure as shooting (what does that mean by the way?) noticed that the Colts LOST.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year! Too bad I didn't get to see you guys while I was briefly in WI over the weekend. I try not to spell check people's blogs most of the time, but just this once please allow me to....I believe it's spelled sloughing. :-)

    ReplyDelete