Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The shirt



It's just a shirt. To the uninformed it looks like a simple muslin rag of multi-colored pink. But it isn't just a shirt. It is the shirt. The shirt that Rayna was found wearing when she was abandoned at 13 days in China. It is the shirt that had a note pinned onto it that told of her age. It was the shirt that most likely her birth mom put her in before she left her in the toy department of a store.

Rayna is doing a school project on her ancestry. She chose to do China simply because she told me she wants to learn more about that country. We were digging up things we brought home from China and then I thought of the shirt. I hadn't really shown her before. We were alone in the basement. I opened up the bin and pulled it out and asked her if she knew what it was. She nodded no. Then I told her. She asked a few questions. I answered. I told her this person loved her and took her to a very safe place. She was doing what she could because of the situation she was in. Rayna had a few tears fall (but mind you, she's quick with emotion... like me). The she said that she was so glad that she was here. With us. With Trevor and Mira. And she was glad as she wouldn't be going to meeting if she wasn't here. Then I welled up. She's so right. And she wouldn't be bringing 'Rays' of sunshine to our home. We are so thankful. Thankful for little reminders like this shirt. Reminders that life could have been so different for her and for us.

11 comments:

  1. OK - now I just had a little cry...very touching! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Sarah said. I needed a good cry, anyway. What a nice memory you made together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad place to read such a beautiful thing... school is not a good place to cry!

    I love Rayna's insight. I love that someone loved her enough to pin a note, put her someplace where other people were and give her a home she has now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so thankful Rayna is in our family just as we are thankful for each of our grandchildren. No favorites, but special memories and love for each one that touch our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post!

    Maybe you heard about 2 Arizona couples who've just been over here where we are. One couple have 3 new children and the other couple return next week to finish their process. These stories like that always are so touchin' for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a touching story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness where is a kleenex when I need one. I still can't help but to be moved to tears when I think of the little girls over there. Are we not so thankful for our little blessings from China.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that post just made my cold lots worse, but thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll join the sniffers. There's a lot of meaning in a bit of cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, love Rayna's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a very touching post; very special. Adoption is such a special thing. Like Duane said, we've had front row seats here the past month and it's been special to be involved.

    ReplyDelete