Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday Musings

I still haven't cleaned the aforementioned light fixture.  Kinda scared of it if you must know.  I feel like if I get touch it, something bad will happen and we'll have to call in repair people again.  Maybe I'll ask one of the MYP to do it.  If spraying a solution is involved, the youngest is more than willing.

We ate out on Saturday night.  Is it noteworthy?  Probably not.  We went to a burger joint that has the color red and a bird involved.  Our first time there.  I think I ate about 4,547 calories.  Went good going down.  Then *urp*.  Wow.  I can't do that anymore.  But what startles me is feeding a family of five at a restaurant.  We got by with two kids' meals.  Water if it wasn't included with the meal.  And it still added up to $47.  We could have had prime rib or lobster at home for that kind of moolah.  And that, my friends, is why we don't go out to eat that much.

Speaking of meals.  Both the Chairman and I grew up with the terms, 'breakfast, lunch, and supper'.  Nowadays it is common to hear 'breakfast, lunch, and dinner'.  No one must eat supper anymore.  We still do.  But I hear one of the MYP once in awhile ask, 'what's for dinner?'.  I want to respond, 'it isn't Sunday'.  So what's the proper terminology?

And speaking of food. Here is the popover recipe I use.  I double it since we are five people.  More recipes coming this week (I hope).

It was immanent.  Two fish have entered the septic system.  One looks like it wants to join them.  I hope he dies quickly.

I'm half-way through 2009 now!  No, I'm not living in the past.  Well in a way, I am.  I'm going through the pictures.  Followed the great suggestions given and will be having prints delivered to my doorstep this week!  Think it'll be a fun project for the MYP and me to get them stuffed into books.  What I can say from observation is that we live a wonderful life.  The kids (and we) have wonderful friends.  We've gone on wonderful trips.  And yes, life is wonderful.  Usually.  If you look at it through smiling pictures of the past.

Saturday, the MYP and I went to the hospital to visit an elderly man we care about.  I share this with you not to toot my horn or try to look good.  I share this with you because I was touched by a few things that happened.  In the presence of a sickly person in a hospital setting, the MYP were a help to the visit and I told them as much.  The dear man thanked us many times for coming.  He said to me as we were leaving, 'I want to give you something'.  Why?  'Because I do.  I want to give you something.'  His eyes got wide and looked around frantically and he saw a little can of V-8.  'Here, can I give you this?  It is all I have, but I want to give it.'  I nearly cried.  What a Spirit. In his illness.  Wanting to share.  And what is so marvelous about extending yourself to visit someone in need is that yes, you are trying to encourage the one you are visiting.  However, I think the person that goes to do the visit gets more out of it.  Really.  If you know of someone ill or sad or lonely or something.  Just get out of your comfort zone and go.  It is so very worth it.

9 comments:

  1. We have a dear auntie in a nursing home that will never let anyone go without a little something. In fact, the best gift you can give her is something to give someone else.

    For another thing, I'm not ready to give up the breakfast, dinner, supper idea either, but I think I am fighting a losing battle, with the kids around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call it supper!

    It is expensive to eat out. I'd say you did pretty well. We still do go out sometimes because it is something enjoyable to do together. Paying for the service is worth it when it's good! Just wait till all your kids are too big for the kids menu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still eat supper too. You're right, dinner is the Sunday noon meal. :-) I like the hospital story and lesson too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had to tell you that you are so right... I have loved over the years what it does for me when I visit our older folks when they are not able to get out to fellowship as they use to. Usually go away feeling so much better than when I came.

    I learned this as a teenager with a lady in her 90s. She spent years not able to get out.. we would try to go once a week or at least every other week... read a little with her and bring a few thoughts expressed about what we read and maybe sing a couple of hymns. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Pass on the love.... :)

    The Prez.... over here in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still eat supper. 'Dinner' is just too confusing but 'supper' and 'lunch' are crystal clear (imho)!
    You're right about visiting people. It's good for everyone all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the old days Dinner was considered the main meal which was the largest and usually at noon. Now dinner is considered more of a formal meal or a special time like when you have company or Sunday noon. I grew up with breakfast, lunch, supper and dinner on Sundays. When I was in the work I looked up this dinner thing because there was confusion as when we were to show up.... really it was dinner to them whether it was noon or evening because they were having company.... we just didn't know the time or we thought we knew. So ever since I've made sure a time was mentioned.
    I do love the feeling I have after visiting BUT I have a hard time getting there because of the comfort zone and why we they want to see me....

    ReplyDelete
  8. when your long winded you really need to go back and proof read :)
    In regards to the visiting.... I meant why WOULD they want to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh, we're supper people here too--and we have Sunday dinners :)
    When we lived in town we were guilty of going out way too often. Now we are 20 mi. from town, so it is not an option except for a special occasion. Now I'm appalled at how expensive it is compared to how many meals I can make for the grocery money!

    ReplyDelete