Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What I do...

nur·ture  (nûrchr)
n.
1. Something that nourishes; sustenance.
2. The act of bringing up.
3. Biology The sum of environmental influences and conditions acting on an organism.
tr.v. nur·turednur·tur·ingnur·tures
1. To nourish; feed.
2. To educate; train.
3. To help grow or develop; cultivate: nurture a student's talent.


I was born to do this.  Nurture.  Nourish, bring up, cultivate things.  From my earliest memory, I loved to take care of animals.  Babies.  Even a baby spider plant in my bedroom.  I loved our collie/shepherd/mutt mix until the day he died.  I had a cat that slept with me many a cold winter night.  Even when I returned while in college, she was still 'my' cat. I had a couple of goldfish (named Lester and Esther by the way) that lived close to 7 years.  They swam with me through the last year of high school, all of college, and made the move with me to Minneapolis (and died the next day).  Yes, I love to nurture.

I have plants that start small and soon look like this:


We got this fish nearly a month ago.  

Well never mind, he went hiding on me when he saw the camera.  I think bettas are camera shy.  This fish started out as daughter #2's.  It became my mission to make sure he was warm and comfortable enough and so I made several trips to several stores to find just the right-sized tank and heater for him.  

Then there's this sweet thing..

I worried that she felt cold after her massive haircut a few weeks back.  Drug in her elevated dog bed from the porch and put her fleece bed on top.  And now she's spoiled comfortable!

And then there are these people...

The ones I spend most my nurturing tendencies on.  It all can be wonderful and marvelous and comforting.  But there can also be a concern of over-doing what I do.  Will the MYP be able to navigate this wide world without me wondering if they have had enough to eat?  If they got to bed in good time?  If they brushed their teeth?  If they have on clean underwear?  

Yes, nurturing is a wonderful thing.  I was nurtured from my earliest memory.  But I also had parents with the wisdom to 'let go' when it was time.  I had a few shell-shocking moments the first weeks of college away from home.  But they didn't tell me to come back.  They told me to stay committed to my original plan.  And I did.  I think that is what successful nurturing is.  To cocoon when you should.  And to let them go off and be free when they are ready.  Our job right now is to ensure that one day, they will be ready.  I will miss them to the core.  I will cry.  I will wonder why they didn't text or call (or whatever the communication will be in 7 years).  But that will be the greatest gift I can give... to let them go...      

5 comments:

  1. yes, this is you! i love your cooking and i'm glad you love to do it...i've been making bread lately and it does have a nurturing feel to it..like i'm "doing" something to make the world around me a little nicer. maybe it's the amazing aroma. anyway, i had fish named Millie and Tillie..they were cutie pies...they both died simultaneously...don't know why. it was a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am thankful for parents who gave me the gift of letting go. I know sometimes they wish I hadn't gone quite so far....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could comment on what you write, as well as you write about what you think/feel!
    Happy nurturing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you hit the nail on the head! Nurturing means letting go someday and still being there as a safety net. This move was a real lesson in needing to let go even more but those bonds of love stretch across the miles. They will always be my babies. Also I have learned just how much I love and miss my "daughter"- a mother's heart always has room for one more. Of course not every DIL is as wonderful as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder that letting go is the greatest gift we can give our children. The last 6 months I have really learned a lot about this, and at times it is hard, but it sure is a beautiful thing to watch him soaring alone now!

    ReplyDelete