Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday's thoughts...

While I was thinking I thought.  But it wasn't much.  Lets see where we go this time.

I went to the mall today.  For some, it wouldn't be a major event.  For me, it is.  I'm not a shopper.  And I'm especially not a department store shopper at a mall.  It kind of makes my skin crawl.  I got there early to avoid the hassle of dealing with other people.  I circled about three times with my coupon in hand hoping to find just the right thing for a gift.  I think I did, but about the second circle around I started to think, 'I really, really don't like doing this'.  For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would actually just go to the mall and browse.  Maybe I need retail therapy whatever that is.  Or a friend that would encourage me to loosen the very strong straps on my pocketbook.  On a side note, it was utter joy to run into two different lovely ladies I know.  That made it worth my while.

To put it all in perspective, I always drive one of the daughters to piano lessons each week.  And without fail, I always take the aforementioned over-nurtured dog.  That way she gets not one walk, but two and possibly three walks that day.  Even though it was close to dark, cold, windy, and I was walking through a light industrial park, it sure beat walking in the mall.

While driving to the lessons, daughter #2 asked out of the blue, 'why did Grandpa take off his pants to go through security at the airport?'.  WHAT?  When did you hear that?  'Well when we were there, Grandma said that Grandpa is smart and just takes everything off before he goes through the scanners, that's why there aren't problems when he flies somewhere'.  HAHAHAHA!  The thought of my dad just passing by the TSA agents without anything but his skivvies... well, never mind.

Son #1 was making the scrambled eggs to go with our waffles tonight.  Out of the blue he says, 'I know why old people dress up all the time'.  Really?  Why?  'Because if they die they'll be ready to just be buried as they are.'....  (I don't plan on over-dressing for awhile.)

Speaking of waffles, I'll type up my go-to recipe.  Actually, it isn't my go-to recipe.  I just have it upstairs in my gray matter.  It might not be as good as yours, but it is the one we use and love here.  And it doesn't have a lot of melted butter in it.

Whole Grain Waffles
2 eggs beaten until foamy
1/3 cup oil (I use canola)
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a small bowl, combine the ingredients above.

In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients following:

2 cups whole wheat (I grind my own soft red wheat berries)
1 tablespoon sugar (brown or white)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add the mixed liquid ingredients to the dry.  Put in waffle maker for 3 minutes or until your iron beeps at you!
* The Chairman and I both love chopped pecans in ours.

And finally, I found  this funny.

2 comments:

  1. hehe--Enjoyed your post again today! (well, rather this morning at 3 a.m. when I couldn't sleep, maybe because the wind is howling around horribly-or something.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. see- retail therapy as something to help some be able to shop. Never thought of it like that before! Love it! I'm generally not much of a shopper, either, but I have my moments.
    And- I'm sure glad I didn't read this BEFORE I saw your folks at Marengo the other Sunday! I can't quite picture your dad doing that either... at all... teehee

    ReplyDelete