Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings

Here we go again!  I like Mondays.  I think if I worked outside the home, I'd almost dread them.  But I don't.  It is the day I can restore order in the house.  I can restock the pantry and fridge.  Get the laundry caught up.  And even sneak in a nap if I get all my chores done.  

Yesterday was my mom's birthday.  I could do a separate post on how lovely she is.  How she was the definition of a perfect mom when I was a little one.  When I was a teen.  When I left home.  And today... but I won't because she's not into promotion.  And that is what makes her so lovely.  This picture was taken on Saturday.  No, she hasn't shrunk in her old age.  The chair was huge.  It is at a German restaurant here in town where famous people go.  They sign a promotional picture to display on the wall.  There was a pictures of ZZ Top sitting exactly where my mother is sitting.  I don't think she knows who ZZ is....  My slightly older sister suggested we sign our latest family picture and send to them.  I wonder if they'd put it up next to ZZ...

butterfly area in the museum

the Chairman and bro-in-law thought the car show would be more interesting than the museum for some reason...
My other set of parents - my in-laws also joined in the festivities.  After the day was over, one of the MYP said to me at bedtime, 'mom?  I heard that Grandpa and Grandma R. were maybe going to go see Grandpa and Grandma D. without us even being there.  Isn't that special that they are friends and don't fight?'  Indeed my child.  Some of those things that we take for granted... we shouldn't.

Today I am gainfully employed outside the home!  I'm going to work the concession stand at son #1's basketball tournament.  Volunteer of course.  I'm thinking I should try to boost up business by organizing a hot dog eating contest or something.  That way our school could earn extra funds and I could see people look ill all at the same time!  I'll try to not lick my thumb if it slips into the little bright-yellow artificial cheese cups they serve with pretzels.

Speaking of food.  The other night I had a hankering for calzones.  I have a niece that is world-famous for hers.  So I googled and moogled and found a recipe which I'll share with you because I'm nice like that.  And they were dee-lish.

these weren't mine, but they looked just like it


Calzones
1 1/4 cups milk or water
1 teas salt
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
a few shakes of garlic powder and Italian seasoning

Warm water for a minute or so in microwave.  Add the salt, sugar and yeast.  Let sit a few moments.  Add the flour until it is easy to handle.  Knead a few minutes until it forms a nice ball.  Cover and let rise an hour.
(You can use a bread machine with a dough setting as well.)

Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 16x10.  Cut into six rectangles.  Add pizza ingredients.  The MYP wanted just sausage, pepperoni, and cheese.  I put chopped spinach, ricotta, green pepper, mushrooms, hot pepper spread, sausage, pepperoni, and cheese in ours.  Seal up tightly with a touch of water if you need to.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve immediately with pizza or marinara sauce for dipping.  Yes, they were that good.

I now must brave the WI elements and walk off a bit of the last calzone.  Thanks to you dear ones for once again listening to the mundane...

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try these!! A couple years ago, I made something similar for the guys when they were in the field, only I stuffed it with hamburger fixins, and it was shaped into a ball.

    ReplyDelete