Monday, July 2, 2012

Hope was given...

... to us tonight.  From a young man who will soon be turning 18 on the 18th.  He beamed and said, it will be my golden birthday!  His name is Joe.  And just through happenstance, I heard enough to actually give me the shivers on a blazing hot evening here in Dairyland.

You see we were taking a boat out on its first voyage with us.  To say we were rookies wouldn't do it justice.  We were floundering there on the dock like a fish out of water (terribly dreadful pun I realize).  And then there he was.  A short-of-stature young man with a ready smile.  He yelled across the dock, 'can I help you?'  Well of course you can.  Joe hopped in and gave the Chairman a few tips that we hadn't known before.  He settled into the drivers seat and took us out to sea the middle of the lake.  Then the Chairman took over and we settled in.  I just could tell something was different about Joe.  I asked a leading question and then he opened up.

He was leaving in three weeks for San Diego to begin a career with the Marines.  He would have burst the buttons off of his shirt if he had one on.  He mentioned his upcoming birthday.  Then he mentioned his family. His very special and unique family.  He pointed them out on the water.  He couldn't join them because the boat only had room for nine.  He was one of... 21 children ranging in age from 3 to 28.  He beamed when he pointed out his father and his brother that had deepest ebony in color.  Yes, they are my family.

I asked him, 'are you adopted too?'.  "Yes I am.  I was in several homes until my mom and dad took me into their home when I was five."  They gave him a hope.  They gave him reason to be excited about his upcoming golden birthday.  And they gave him a future by encouraging him to go serve our wonderful country.

When we returned to the launch site, he rushed over to help us.  Soon I heard his family's boat coming in.  I heard his mother barking military-like orders to approximately eight children who cheerfully rallied to help.  Joe disappeared to do his duties and returned to make sure we were all taken care of.  An 18-year old without the slightest of attitude.  In fact, a pleasant, bright-eyed young man.

Just meeting him and seeing what a happy life he has had and the bright unknown ahead made me thankful for those who are willing to open their hearts and homes to adopt.  We adopted for completely different reasons.  We adopted because we desperately wanted a family - not because we were helping out a formerly abused or troubled child.  That takes it to a different level.

Anyway.  His name was Joe.  And I'm so glad we crossed paths tonight.

p.s.  I Googled the family and came up with this: http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/photos/135767783.html and this  http://heavenhouse.vifonline.org/index.php/obrien-story

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice tribute! looking forward to checking the link.

    ReplyDelete