Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Summary

Everyone is out of the house or taking cat naps.  
So I might just do a Sunday summary.  Come to think of it, I don't remember blogging on a Sunday.  Maybe it will seem different somehow!  I hope so.  Couldn't be worse.  Heh heh.

We made our annual pilgrimage to the door.  Not just any door.  Door County.  The "thumb" of Wisconsin if you think we look like a left hand.  About three hours northeast of us.  This year was a bit down in numbers. Usually we hover around 75 of our nearest and dearest friends.  This year we were a paltry 60....

So what is it like filling up a campground with about 60 of your friends?  Simply wonderful.  That's why we return year after year.  The 'kids' are getting bigger.  The toddlers and babies of yesteryear are now well into or hitting their teens.  Some have passed the teens.  But they still return because it is just fun.  I like them all.  Such a nice group of young people that are growing into their places.  (sigh)

There's lots of this:
And this:
And this:

And this, this, and this!



It can be bright and sunny!

Or a relaxing gray:
And friends galore:


We watch plays that this company puts on several evenings we are there.

Ok enough pictures and links already.  Since I love you so much, I kind of kept some mental notes I wanted to share with you:

*  Camping.  It is simply silliness.  You haul everything into tents or campers.  Sleep on funny beds.  Cook in highly inefficient manners.  All in the name of fun.  But fun it is.

*  Even in the midst of a large group of our friends, the MYP always managed to come back to our campsite looking for food like baby birds.

*  Parents that camp with little ones are generally a relaxed bunch.  I saw a group of kids on a rocky edge that looked almost dangerous and the mother was just chatting away without a care in the world.

*  Speaking of kids.  I saw a little blond-headed boy with red Keens on his little feet that were so cute it made my heart puddle a bit.

*  I may have mentioned this before, but it still gives me pause.  The campground we are in have private showers (thank goodness!), but it is unisex where you have the sinks, mirrors, and electricity.  So one morning I was elbow to elbow with a man about my age.  He finished up shaving, then put on cologne, his deodorant, combed his hair, and added some gel.  Then brushed his teeth (with a double swish I might add). Packed up his gear, and headed out to start his day.  Not that I was watching or anything...

*  Since humility and meekness are some of my strongest suits, I probably won't tell you about the 50 yard dash challenge one of my friends wanted to do.  Or more importantly, the outcome.  However, my legs have paid the price now on day #3.  But oh so worth it... :-)

*  And now a mountain of PU awaits in the laundry room.  When you are camping, what you return with that is clean is dirty.  And what you return with that is dirty is REALLY dirty.

*  I missed our new kitty and the old pup more than I care to admit.  I think when you are a SAHM with pets, you are just used to them being around.

Not sure if I'll 'muse' tomorrow.  We have a special nephew here from CA.  And my brain isn't firing on all the pistons quite yet.

A special shout-out to the person from San Antonio, TX that found the blog by searching for 'homesick for South Dakota'.  Not sure if this will help you get out of the doldrums, but don't say I didn't try!

2 comments:

  1. Oh...loved this Sunday summary! Really got a snort out of that last paragraph too! haha! I always love your posts about door county. It is somewhere I have wanted to visit for a long time, and those camping trips sound so much fun, and (shhh~ I don't even like camping much~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up!
    Maxine- I'd love to be in on this camping trip sometime, too, and I'm no fan of camping! But this is a special trip!!

    ReplyDelete