Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Musings

I can't ruin my clean reputation.  Or maybe the record of musings on a Monday.  I'll muse a bit and then take the panting dog out for a walk before the sun gets too high.

Today is the first day of summer school!  We enrolled the MYP because I need alone time the school they attend likes mass participation to get the kids in gear.  And to help refresh their memories that 2+2 does indeed = 4.  They will be gone mornings for the next two weeks.  Whooeee!  (Don't tell them I said that.)

So here they are in all their beauty.  Japanese beetles.

My research shows they came from Japan (imagine that!) with a shipment of iris bulbs in 1912.  Don't ever say I only entertain and not inform.  After an alarming call from a relocated friend after my post last week, (thanks KG!), I went out to inspect the yard and trees and discovered a serious problem.  Traps and spray were purchased and now we have bags full of them and sick looking ones left on the lace-like leaves.  Ick.

Just because you were wondering, I will inform you that I have washed 29 towels in the last two days.  Thank goodness for large capacity and low water usage.

Asthma stinks.  Unfortunately, one of our MYP fight it constantly.  He is under the care of an allergist, but it usually flares up this time of year.  Beyond all the breathing issues, is the simple fact that insurance companies like to bump up a rate 50% because one child has it.  Heavy sigh...

Last week I had a proud mom moment much to the chagrin of the two MYP with me.  I sat in the orthodontist office and after scanning the latest People magazine, I lifted my head and looked around.  On the bulletin board across the room my eyes stopped at one of the pictures.  "Look!"  I told the two with me.  "That girl looks just like 'daughter #1'!"  I jumped out of my seat and walked across the room.  Behind me a voice quietly says, "Mom?  That is 'daughter #1'".  One of the MYP says quietly, "wow".  The other snickers.  I slink back to my seat and realize another mother waiting in the room is grinning broadly.  Yep.  A proud mom moment.

Well back to folding towels and walking the pooch, and making sure kitten doesn't run away.  And eventually picking up some MYP after their first day of classes.  I'll try not to look too refreshed when they jump in the car.

2 comments:

  1. good idea ... to enroll the kids in summer school ... wouldn't mind the break here either! ;)
    BTW I enjoy keeping up with your blog! :) You always give me a "chuckle and lift"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thats funny the pix looking like your MYP!! Many many years ago I took a picture of my brother's rustic barn and had it enlarged and framed. Then I sent it to them, Joyce(SIL)was going on and on about the neat barn in the pix and her much younger son at the time said...."MOm thats our barn!" Kids are just to smart for mothers at times!

    ReplyDelete