Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Musings

I'm glad you can't see me.  Facetime and Skype and those other devices scare me sometimes.  Because people can really see what you look like.  I don't want to ruin my squeaky-clean reputation.  But I'll let you in on something.  I'm still sitting in my bathrobe and it is nearly 10:30.  I've been working.  On this:

Don't mind the monkey.  He just happened to be next to the pictures.  With MYP, things like that happen.  Anyway the pictures.  The dreaded pictures.  I have been sorting the massive amounts that I printed out.  And let me tell you... it's no picnic for someone that is compulsive about chronology.  These are the moments of our lives.

Remember Beanie Bart Junior?  

I was just about ready to send him on a one-way ticket to visit our septic system.  Then I read lots of betta sites and spent a bit of money on a heater and nicer tank.  He has rewarded us by becoming a very active, happy, and starving fish.  He's like a retriever of the fish-world and stays near the top hoping and hoping we drop just one more pellet into his little domain.  I have to admit, the slimy little thing has grown on me.

Once again this past weekend, we were faced with another dilemma in parenting.  It gave me pause.  You see when you are a parent, you can't just throw up your hands and say, I don't like it, I don't want to do this, I don't know what to do.  That isn't an option.  But parenting MYP (or one for that matter) is a huge lesson in humility.  The MYP have never been at this point before.  And we haven't either for that matter.  And life is a lot like that.  Today is here and we haven't faced this one before.  And no one else has for that matter.  That's why life is so mysterious and wonderful and yet leaves us humble wondering what will come.  We can be thankful for the assurance that help will be given if we just ask.

I am helping coordinate a meal drive for a dear person facing a battle (that she is winning I might add).  I am utterly touched by the outpouring of food and care for her.  It is a thrill to see how people want to serve.

Speaking of food.  Son #1 asked the other day if we could make homemade french toast sticks.  I told him I wouldn't buy the kind you can get in the store that are processed this and that.  So we looked up a recipe and it was a marvelous hit.  He did a lion's share (why do they choose a lion for that saying?) of the work.  I found it post-worthy.
photo isn't mine... although the dish is pretty!
French Toast Sticks


8 to 10 thick slices of bread (homemade is best you know!)
2 tablespoons melted butter
5 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.  

In a bowl, mix together the butter, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, milk, and vanilla.  Beat well.  Cut thick-sliced bread into three 'sticks'.  Dip into egg mixture and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or coated with parchment paper.  Drizzle leftover egg mixture over sticks when finished.

Bake for 30 or more minutes until it has reached a nice light brown color.  Turn half-way through.

Cool slightly.  And enjoy.

To use for later, flash freeze on a cookie sheet and place in a bag when frozen.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed our first betta, I fed him and cleaned his bowl, and he lived for three years. I wanted another and got one for my birthday, this one I accidentally dropped in the sink with soap, exit betta number two. The family bought he another one, and he lasted a week. I don't know what I did wrong, but I decided I better not have anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those french toast stick sound wonderful! I'm not into buying the boxed stuff either, so thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete