Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Musings

The birds chirp.  The breeze blows softly.  The dampness of the awakening grass.  Ahhh.  Spring feel today!  I see a very ominous-looking cloud on the radar that says I need to get my shoes laced up and out the door before it becomes some serious rain.  I haven't walked for two days (gasp!).  It feels really, really awful.

We changed the time to "spring ahead" again.  Every time we do it, I think of a lady in Iowa that said that she never felt rested up until she gained that hour back again in the fall.  I'll probably remember that for the rest of my life.

What's that quote?  "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray".  We were making plans to go have some fun this weekend.  It was somewhat spontaneous.  But the $$ raised up to $$$$ basically overnight.  Major disappointment and some tears and a promise of another time and we ended up doing something else.

First a sleepover.  Then a trip to the mall with these sillies.  They are 12, 11, 10, and 9!

Then a trip south to the adjoining state for a special day!  It lived up to its name in every way.  Special indeed!



I realized something yesterday.  About compliments and how they are received.  We saw someone that is extremely talented in playing the piano.  In fact, she is a teacher and more so.  Not only is she talented in music, she's beautiful and fun-loving, and helpful.  I digress.  Anyway, I wanted to compliment her on how her music was in inspiration to me and how it also caused our son #1 to be found listening to Scott Joplin rags on Pandora.  So I did.  And instead of saying, I'm not really that good.  I wonder why people really even like to hear me.  I wish I were better... she said with a bright smile :  "thank you!"  And that was that!  She allowed me to say something nice.  She accepted it with graciousness.  I felt better.  She (I think) felt better.  I love life's little lessons that come like that.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh... good to see Mr Ray. We never had the privilege to have him our part, but he was 'next door' at one time , so we got to see and hear him often those many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't personally know those in the pictures, but do know how special your day would have been!
    Love the lesson on the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the many useful and helpful things I learned from my BFF back in college- If you receive a compliment, smile and say Thanks. All the other stuff we tend to say is really just fishing for more because it makes the other person say No really.... It's not always easy to do, though.

    ReplyDelete