Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Weighty matters

A few thoughts have popped into my smallish brain that I will put in writing of tricks that have worked for me regarding health and weight control.  Maybe one or more might be of a help.  However, I do recognize that genetics play a big role in your overall weight, structure, and girth.  And being slender is not a big goal or near as important as other qualities in life.

* Get a dog!  Or not.  Having a large breed pooch that loves walks motivates me to walk every.  single.  day.  I go in rain, snow, sleet, hail, and sunshiny days.  There are rare occasions that I don't get out there.  But they are rare.  How long and how far?  My typical route is about 45 minutes.  If I have someone with me, it often is longer.  I go at a reasonably fast clip and sometimes listen to something to make the time go quicker.  If you choose to do DVD workouts, yoga, exercise classes, or run stairs, all power to you!  Walking is my thing.

* Besides walking, stay active.  If one of the MYP ask to play ball or race or go on a bike ride, I try to drop what I'm doing and go.  The benefits are more than just exercise.  If in a building, take the stairs.  Park a bit away from the front door of a store.  Simple things that add a few steps.  They add up.

* I eat at regular times.  Even if I'm alone, I set up my plate and eat what is on it.  Today's lunch consisted of leftover Italian wedding soup (that was fantastic btw) and a little Babybel cheese, some whole grain crackers, an orange, and a couple Girl Scout cookies.  Not sure why you needed to know all those details.  I don't snack between or eat before bed.  That works for me.

* I eat everything.  I don't limit carbs - but I do try to choose whole-grain alternatives.  Bread, waffles, pancakes, etc. are made with whole grains at home.  I purchase whole grain tortillas, crackers, etc. I'm not afraid of fats.  Just limit the amount you put on.

* I rarely have soda - regular or otherwise.  My personal opinion is that it is dreadful for the body.  Have at it if you enjoy!  I just know when I cut all soda out of my repertoire, I immediately lost weight.  I very much limit  purchasing processed food to make at home.  I like to know what I'm eating.  And we don't eat out all that much.  I think eating out gives you a bazillion calories that you hardly realize you are consuming - not to mention the fats and sodium.

* Portion control.  I fill up a plate and eat what is on it.  And then I'm done (usually).  If the first portion tasted really good, the second would taste the same, but be unnecessary extra calories.  On packaged products such as a cookie, cracker, or chips, I usually peek to see what they think is a serving size and go with that guideline.

* I drink skim milk almost every noon with lunch.  The extra protein seems to tie me over longer until suppertime.

* Water!  I had a kidney stone three years ago.  The pain was just simply awful.  But it taught me the importance of hydration and as a result, you feel fuller with a lot of water in your system; not to mention the benefits of healthier looking skin.  I drink several tall glasses between meals.

*  Weigh often.  Yes, at first it is icky.  But if you regularly weigh yourself, you can kinda keep yourself in check.  If I go up a pound or two due to a vacation or eating out or whatnot, I just scale back (pun intended) the next day or two.

I read a little quote that I often think of when I'm before a loaded table, buffet line, or potluck.  "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".  Yes, being thin isn't everything.  But it is one aspect of my life that I can control! And so I'll do it the best I can.

If you have any tips that work for you, please share them!  I am sure many of you have ideas far better than mine...

4 comments:

  1. The first comic made me laugh out loud for real! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really do hate what the scale says. so i hate scales. poor logic , i know, but it helps. i just steer clear of scales. i don't think that's a very healthy tip but it works for me until i go to Dr. visits and then the crying and whining starts. for awhile.

    i have a dog. check. however, i have inoperable feet at the moment..which makes having a dog all the more frustrating..because i simply can't walk at the moment. sad sad sad. i did pushups and situps since i couldn't walk. don't know if it helps any because i don't weigh myself.

    i think your tips are fantastic and very common sense. very. and you are slim..i've seen you in real life so you are a great role model for many of us less slim folks out here...keep giving us occassional tips,k? thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dog is a great exercise tool, and mine has helped me lose weight too. But now I am no longer trying to lose weight, but gain muscle. We lose muscle as we age and muscle burns more fat! Also, strong muscle and a strong core help your back and neck stay healthy and helps you perform every day tasks better! The best way to maintain good health is to USE your body. Use it or lose it! Eating healthy is important too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I'm snacking on a bag of potato chips as I read them, but I do agree :) Really, except for snacking, I could say "hear, hear" to all of them.

    ReplyDelete