Friday, March 9, 2012

A stitch that eats time...

Her name was Ethel.  But to me she was Grandma Anderson.  These grandparents were unique.  They were loving, supportive, funny, and loved the present as much or more than the past.  I loved spending every moment with them even as a gangly teen.  During college, I would drive for weekends down to see them in my '66 Chevy Nova.  I looked forward to it as much as they did.

Grandpa was funny.  Loved a good laugh.  And loved to tell a good story.  Grandma was a teacher before she married in her mid-20's.  She gave wonderful advice that has stayed with me.  She knew I struggled with math and made it her mission during one visit to SD to get me to recite the multiplication table rapid-fire.  She encouraged me to figure out who I was myself before rushing to find someone and settle down.  She urged me to go on to college.  And she told me to learn a craft so that when I'm old, I'll have something to do with my time.  She didn't know about Facebook!  heh heh.

Twenty-seven years ago, she helped me get started on a crocheted 'granny squares' baby blanket for a very special baby coming.  I was in my first year of college and got the moniker "Grandma" as my nickname because I crocheted.  That was my first and last project.  Until....

Now... twenty-seven years later... I recently saw my slightly older sister teaching one of the MYP how to crochet.  It stirred something.  So instead of just sitting there playing Words with Friends for the umpteenth time or checking the live feeder to see if anyone else's life is more interesting than mine, I am crocheting!

Since Grandma or my slightly older sister isn't right close, I replaced them with You Tube.  It is a marvelous teaching tool.  And so, I have begun my first pot holder project.  It was slightly disheartening last night after 35 minutes of hard work to hear the lady quietly say that what I had just done should have taken five minutes or less if you were an accomplished crocheter.  I guess that wouldn't be me yet!


It is wonderful with one caveat.  I am compulsive.  I like things completed.  And so I woke up at 5:19 this morning with the feeling that something wasn't finished.  My crocheting project!  I got a few things started in the kitchen and got down to business.  The MYP were curious like little kitties.  Then one piped up and said, 'I sure hope you don't forget to make us bread today'.

6 comments:

  1. HA! As a compulsive crocheter, recently adding knitting, I know that stuff will get you into trouble if you aren't careful! Not the least of which is carpel tunnel syndrome, which is why I have to set a timer. Strangely enough I am getting a lot of other things done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story...if it were on Facebook I would press the "Like" button!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing about Grandma Ethel in your words. Even though I knew her myself. Even though I know your older brother and lots of other people loved them lots too. It was just so nice to read about them again! She would be very pleased you are crocheting again! Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned to crochet making a "granny square" afghan back in 8th grade. I sure admire others "yarn" projects--it's just not my forte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I just found this nice post, and instead of commenting on your crocheting, I'll comment on your unique and wonderful grandma! Nearly as much a mom as my own, I claim her as mine too..hope you don't mind! Many quiet evenings I still want to pick up the phone for a quick chat, or turn my car east and pull into a little lane with a unique mailbox. My means of survival as a young wife and mom! I got to hear stories of your latest escapades, and I have the magnet on my refrigerator that states: "The opinions expressed by the man of this house are not necessarily those of the Management." :) You knew I'd have to comment, didn't you? The influence of "Forest and Ethel from Foster City" remains within my heart! What privileged grandkids you were!

    ReplyDelete