Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day 2008

For the men in my life. Thank you to my dear husband for being a wonderful dad to our children. Words don't suffice in how you have made utmost sacrifices for our family. You are always looking out for the best for our children. You put your own wants, needs, and desires behind what would be better for the family. You wept as you held our premature baby and we lovingly let her go after her too tiny of a body failed to work. You went to countless doctor appointments and watched helplessly as we struggled for a few years in trying to make a family. You urged me to consider adoption - which I might add brought something so rich and beautiful to our lives that I couldn't describe in words. You were as anxious as I was to get on that plane to go bring Rayna home. You waited very anxiously in the waiting room while Trevor was being born. You held him tight and gave him his first bottle. You were very scared, yet very thrilled when Mira was coming. It was more than we could ask to have her join us as well. And now we are in the trenches of parenthood and you continually give, guide, encourage, protect, love, and discipline as only a father could. I'm so very fortunate for all you are and all you mean to our family.

And to my father. Thank you for coming today. And thank you for just being you. I have always thought in my mind that I'm like my mom. But the older I get, the more I realize I am a chip off the old block. I love people like you do. I love a good laugh. I love the outdoors. I love family. I chose a similar career - you with Woolworth's and me with Target. I was glad for the guidance you gave in encouraging me to get my degree and make something of my life. You worked long, hard hours. But you always had time for us kids. You made a special effort each year to take a two week vacation to some faraway place to take in a convention, meet with our worker relatives on the west coast or Mexico, or just camp in the woods. We didn't have much extra money-wise, but you wanted mom to keep the home fires burning and you did all you could to keep our home going and the door open for others. Our lives were "rich" because of your sacrifices. And so, thank you for all that and more.


And to my father-in-law, elder, and many countless other wonderful examples of dads... thanks to you too!




5 comments:

  1. Beautifully lived. Beautifully said. And might I just add... I LOVE the picture of you and your Dad. The other ones are good, too, but I found this one to be particularly nice. Happy Father's Day to all of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,that couldn't have been more beautifully said. Thanks for saying it. Can I add a link on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. Very much enjoyed your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete