Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In-Laws

Some call them out-laws. Some call the mother-in-law the 'Battle Ax' or worse. You read about disastrous relationships. I've actually witnessed a few. But I'm one of the lucky ones. I get a call this morning early. What do you have planned today? We'd like to come help you stain your deck. We'll come over about noon and get it done if you get the stain. Really? And so they show up with brushes in hand. They trim bushes. They power wash. They sand rough edges. And they brush out stain on the thirsty boards. All the while acting like they just plain enjoy helping. And that is the picture of who my in-laws are. They aren't demanding. They aren't out for show. They aren't trying to change our lifestyle. They aren't trying to raise our children. They aren't meddling in our marriage (or anything else for that matter). They are parents. Who love, give, serve, and encourage... I'm certain in the 14 years I have been a Debelak that there have been times they almost wanted to say something. But they haven't unless we asked outright. And so, I have a good example in how I will need to be as a mother-in-law some day. I wish I took a picture of the project today, but I didn't want to stop swiping the stain on!

And if you asked Duane, I know he'd say the same about his in-laws too!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's pretty nice! I'd have to say I have inlaws like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tribute to Bob & Laura! I have no problem believing it, though. It's been 13 years since I've seen them, but I still remember them as quiet, gentle people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute! I have some In-Laws like that, & I'm sure they probably would have liked to say *something* many times, but didn't.
    We can sure learn some lessons (both ways) from examples. We've already started up that road, & I do find the need of *holding my tongue* often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I got lucky with my "in-laws", too. They don't always hold their tongue, but I find it amazing that living in the same town, they really just let us live our lives with little input unless asked.

    ReplyDelete