Monday, June 23, 2008

Random thoughts

* I have pictures of Trevor's birthday to post, but that would require me to go downstairs and get the camera hooked up to our desktop. The kids are playing some game on that computer, so it won't happen right now.

* His birthday was nice. It spanned over three days. And nearly everything he received had to do with shooting (Nerf super-sized gun, bow&arrow (thanks gpa and gma R., sling-shot (thanks Rowland's) and new Legos (thanks gpa and gma D)... you get the point. So he's a happy kid.

* I love oatmeal cookies with choc. chips. Use any oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, but eliminate the raisins and cinnamon and add choc. chips and a bit more vanilla than the recipe calls for. yum!

* I threw out some leftover pot roast with gravy from our big freezer. It had to be over five years old. I also found a package of dried beef my mom brought here from SD when Mira was born!!! I'm slowly going through the freezer and some closets since we'll probably be packing it in here within six weeks.

* Blogging is kind of the anti-Christmas letter of how perfect people's worlds are. When you blog you tell about the crumbs on the floor, the dog with bad breath, the kids that fight, the garden has weeds, the laundry pile mounts, etc. I like this better. Real life isn't cherries.

* Which leads me to summer. I was really, really looking forward to summer vacation. And it is nice. But the kids almost need something happening. They are used to a schedule and demands with school during the school year and almost seem hapless when given an open day to just 'be'. But I get tired. Weary really of them wanting to set up the next kool-aid stand, wanting to go to the pool, wanting to have someone over. Especially between 1 and 3 for some reason. I get a heavy head, feel like all I'd like to do is go lie on my bed and relax a bit, but then the front door bell rings with another neighbor kid peering in the window, the bedroom door opens ands someone is complaining about someone doing something unkind to them. So then I'm back in mom-mode.

* Two parties showed up at the open house yesterday. One really loved it here, but has a house to sell. The other was just... nosy? I dunno.

* Trevor's baseball team is 0 and something so far. They get so very close to winning and then... don't. He muttered this morning that he didn't think they'd win at all this year. Um, don't have that attitude! You can do it! (I hope).

* I have a massage scheduled for next week! Unfortunately it is at 8 am. But I haven't had one in... 13 years I think.

* Three more birthdays upcoming yet for me. Duane turns 40 on July 2nd, Mira is 6 on the 9th and Rayna is 9 on the 10th. Bizarre how the birthdays in our family are all at the same time. We obviously planned none of them that way.

* I have to pack another supper. It is about twice/week I need to do it. Tonight is swimming at 5, baseball game starts at 6, and obedience class (for the dog, but the kids could sure use it), at 6:45.

* I love June. Anyone that says any month is better than June must have a screw loose. Everything is beautiful. Except for the mosquitos. Which are terribly fierce right now.

* I think I'll warm up some old coffee from this morning to perk up a bit.

* I do love seeing comments on the blog. Makes me think that someone is thinking of us!

* Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. Loved what you said about blogging. I started in Feb. and realized that really I can get out of the yearly update letters and just make sure everyone has my blog address. I try and keep it real b/c that is what life is...the pretty and the ugly. I am also begining to think that the summer is really a lesson for my kids on how to get a long with each other. We have a little work to do(ok lets be real... a lot of work to do). Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. comments? You want comments? Ha!! If I commented every time I thought of you . . . wouldn't be enough time/space . . . . Your blog makes me smile ~ it is so you! Looking forward to seeing you in a few months! By that time my hair might look a bit more like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi :)

    I like your oatmeal cookie plan- no raisins and more vanilla; I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to stop by often, because I really do enjoy "real life" posts too! Love the cookies too..can relate to the freezer "saga" AND THE SUMMER/KID issue! Our birthday month is May, so it's past, but now with extended family & grandkids we've got some other months that are getting a little heavy too.
    and Ditto for the comments on our blogs!! Have a great rest of the week :*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commenting, because I loved reading this post. ;) And because I know how much it means to have comments, too. I've noticed the commenting gets a little less in the summer and on the weekends... everyone's not so "house bound", I guess. Our mosquitos have been fierce this year, too. All that rain. All of us are covered in mosquito bites from head to toe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm commenting because i have to boast. i know how fierce those WI mosquitos can be. Poor C.V. literally took cover and sprinted to get in our house one June, i believe. well, there aren't any mosquitos here..yet. at least any fierce ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on the massage appt. by the way!! i'm glad to see that you're taking care of yourself as you seem to be one that everyone else is #1..which is good, too, but i'm happy that after 13 long years you're going to take the plunge howbeit tooooooo early in the am. ..oh well!

    ReplyDelete