Saturday, June 28, 2008

A thought or two

* Kids were gone 24 hours. For the first time since we've had them, it didn't seem long enough for them gone! Am I a bad mom for feeling that way? Duane and I had an invitation (sans kids) last night and then we had a leisurely walk and a quiet breakfast and I even had a wonderful long time of playing the piano after breakfast!

* We went to get the kids at my folks today and Duane biked the 52 miles back home. He almost hit a turkey mid-flight and then a huge horse was in the middle of a county road with a shrieking lady trying to catch it. I think D. helped corral the beast. (I hope this is factually accurate or you'll be hearing revisions from the chairman.)

* Our dog didn't puke in the van for the first time on that long of a trip! She did just dandy. And really loved going.

* I gave the kids jobs tonight and asked if Mira could take our sheets out of the dryer and put it on our bed. She said, 'mom? Why did you change your sheets? Did you pee in your bed?

* This week my dear husband turns 40! But I did that a bit ago already..!

* No open house tomorrow! The house is still clean, but not spotless on every faucet.

* We lost a huge limb on the only big tree here today. A little wind shear went through and now the poor ash looks lopsided.

* The kids are on the summer reading program at the library and are reading like mad. Last week they got a free pizza coupon and a zoo pass! They've already finished up the next sheet. It is amazing what a little dangling carrot can do for them. I should use it more often.

* I need to read with the kids instead of blogging...

2 comments:

  1. No, you are NOT a bad mom. But I am very familiar with that guilty feelilng of it-feels-good-to-be-away-from-my-kids! Connor & Nathan are on the same type of summer reading program; I think it's great the libraries do that. Every year I hear the same thing from their teachers: make sure they read, read, read this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No feeling guilty. Just enjoy it. I was amazed when we had our 24 hour reprieve on our anniversary this year... thought we would end up talking about the kids all the time (over dinner, etc.), but would you believe we didn't talk about them once? It was nice to just BE! Happy "Over the Hill" to your husband. Hee. ;)

    ReplyDelete