Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bread recipe...

These loaves are hot on the counter as I type...

Bread. It is life to this house. They start out the day often with toast. They pack their lunches. It is an after school snack. And so, it is life. And it must be healthy so their little lives can be strong. If you know me or read this silly blog you know I bake bread. Nearly daily. And it keeps the many small children here fed and nourished. And so I'll pass along the recipe I've concocted over the years. It is what the Chairman and the children enjoy. And so I bake. And love to... for the loves of my life.

I do the dough in my ancient bread machine that holds 2 lbs. And then I put in two 1-lb (smaller) loaf pans and bake in the oven.

The "Chef's" Bread"

1 1/3 cups milk - warm in microwave about 2 minutes
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil (you can use butter instead)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sweetener (white or brown sugar, molasses, or honey) * I use a touch of molasses and the rest brown sugar
4 cups unbleached bread flour
3 teaspoons of yeast

2-3 tablespoons ground flax
2 tablespoons of wheat germ - none of these three are necessary, but it's what I do
a sprinkling of flax seed

Put in bread machine and set on dough setting. When dough beeps (often mine is ready before the dough cycle is over) take out of bread machine pan and let sit a couple minutes. Then knead it down and separate into two loaves and put in pan. Raise for 30-40 minutes (until it is over the pan rim). Bake at 350 for 24-25 minutes. Immediately remove from pans.

This recipe can easily be done by hand. And it can be doubled if you want four loaves.


"Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

3 comments:

  1. Yum, I love fresh bed, anyway, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having eaten this bread, I'll say it's tasty and healthy and made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Glad you posted it before your blogging hiatus. I've heard a lot about it. Can't wait to try it. Yum.

    ReplyDelete