Sunday, December 7, 2008

Nightime nods

one thing the Chairman said that was so appealing to him when we first met on the raft trip in '92 was that I didn't complain. he said after five days on a raft with no shower and having no control over our situation, he marveled how easy it was for me to stay happy and chipper. well, i want to so badly muse a bit. complain. grumble. glower. about winter. i'm sick of it already. yes i know. a tired and lame complaint. but it is either freezing or it warms up to near 25 and then snows a bunch. and that my dear friends is what i just spotted on weather.com again. phooey.

but i keep walking. i did a 1/2 hour this morning at 6:30 since the pooch was going to be garage-bound for the entire day. and then another 1/2 hour tonight after supper. and it was 5 deg. in the morning and then 13 deg tonight. and you know what, it felt almost colder tonight than this morning. why was that?

rayna is beating me at rummikub. i enjoy the game. and i love to see her thrilled face when she beats me. good logic for her too!

mira is soooo into the "little house" series. we're on little house on the prairie - #2 right now and she waits with baited breath for me to come read the next chapter. i loved, loved, loved them as a kid too. part of the reasoning was that i knew at a tender age that i was born in wisconsin and grew up on the prairie like laura. so i thought i was just like her. and mary was quieter and blonder and more respectful (like my sweet, special, and senile sister). but there was no mean brother in the books and so it was fun to pretend that he didn't exist! but now i'm glad he's around. :-)

found a great sledding hill just minutes away from here! i missed it all yesterday as i had to pick up mira from a birthday party. but i hear that trevor was air-born the moment he got on the hill. he's a nut. a boy - through and through. and he lived to tell it to me when he got home.

this is boring even me now... and so my fingers will quit walking.

3 comments:

  1. Well I'd sure be willing to switch weather with you. It's been in the 40's and rainy here. Blah. What kind of winter is that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our kids loved the little house books, too - I don't remember how many times we read through them! We got to visit DeSmit, SD once, too. I loved this one, too - after we had read about Ma getting her new stove - it was about the time we got our first microwave - Helen asked me if Ma had a microwave! I love those precious memories.
    Yes, the weather -- Marv thinks we should be in Texas but how would I play with my grandchildren then??

    ReplyDelete
  3. snort snort- senile sister
    I'm looking forward to introducing them to my kidlets although I really don't enjoy reading out loud and they are a tad longer than green eggs and ham. And ahem sorry about the snow we ordered it for some LA/TX kids that haven't ever seen any and are coming to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete