Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One year ago today...

We drove Lincoln to the vet as he wasn't able to get up. We discovered he had a rupture in the abdomen due to spleen/liver cancer that had been quietly working within. After an ultrasound it was decided there was no choice and he had to be put down. I got to hold him while he got his stuff and he put his big, sweet paw on my arm and seemed to just 'know' this was it. It goes without saying that I cried a very long time. And so... I miss him. He was a brilliant, sweet comfort to us during some very sad times. He was patient with each additional child that came. And he loved, loved, loved our very close neighborhood and spent endless hours at other homes.

And now we have golden retriever #2. Lisi is just... well different. She has her own strengths and weaknesses. Just like kids I guess. And as the time goes on, I'm appreciating her for who she is and find myself comparing her less and less to what Lincoln was.

So the sidebar of Lincoln will be removed soon. He had his time. His place in our life. And now we're on to the next stages...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you lost your big ol' boy. Our good friends have goldens and we enjoy them when we visit (I visit daily and am greeted three different ways!) They have had goldens ever since their oldest (now 28) was in my Brownie troop. Her name was Alki, since then they have kept her line going, now their "old" dog is her "puppy" Twogee (labeled at birth as #2 girl 2G). Anywho. Goldens are special, any good dog is. It is hard to lose one that has been apart of a family for so long. I am glad you are keeping it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was showing my hubby just the other day pictures of your dogs. What a wonderful dog Lincoln was! I also enjoy all the little post of Miss Lisi and her adventures. We have a Golden named Amber and she is a sweet dog, she actually is very protective of our property, and does a great job babysitting Kinzie when she plays outside, she will stay right by Kinzie's side, almost like she is telling us to do a better job watching Kinzie ourselves. Happy 2009 to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete