Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sick of the Stone

A few thoughts since getting the 'stone':

When you are desperately ill, you don't care about things that are important to you. As I rocked in the fetal position in the ER last week, I looked down and saw myself in PJ's, a very old pair of Crocs that didn't match the PJ's, a fleece jacket that was yet another color, and my hair was every which way without a barette, clip, pin, anything. And I didn't care.

I love a tidy house, planned meals for the kitchen, order with the kids... etc. You know the picture. I'm not a control freek, but I tend to labor over things that don't always matter. But when you are hurting, it doesn't matter. At all.

Conversation is a bit bizarre too. When I was lying there in my stupor, everything I heard seemed like in 3rd person. Even when they talked to me. It is like life is going on without you. Kinda scary-weird at the same time.

I've tried many concoctions of cocktails to rid myself of the 'beast'. I think the olive oil/lemon juice one could be the most promising provided you drink at least 3 qts. of water a day with it. But it is nasty. Like putrid. Like plug your nose and get it down. I did it tonight again and got the lemon juice part of it down the windpipe. Now that hurt. And burned. And it all is because I have a terrific ache on my side/abdomen.

Pain medications are nice, but there are drawbacks. The vicodin makes me just loopy. Not really in a fun way. A bit nauseous mixed with utter sleepy feelings. Works good for nights, but by day I'm supposed to be moving around to help get things going (like that has worked in the last nearly 6 days). Motrin works pretty good all around, but sometimes, not quite enough help.

But it is getting somehow better. Or is it? Am I just used to the pain? It isn't as bone-jarring as in the beginning. But the aching feeling on the side/back/belly really hurts. And then gets more intense. It is hard to describe. At times it feels like labor. Other times it feels like my back is 'out'. And other times I am almost pain-free. Sorta. Not really.

So what are my options? Not much. They could try to 'blast' it out. But the side effects of that aren't really fun either. They say 90% should just work their way out on their own. With LOTS of water I might add. Hey! No more cracked fingertips!!! My eyeballs are floating. I'll call the Dr. in the next day or so if the status doesn't change. I think my ER Dr. was being a bit 'hopeful' when he said I'd have it out within hours or the day for sure (six days ago...)

Enough on the stone. I think I should name him though! Might as well have fun in the misery. Suggestions anyone?

On a side note: I had a wonderful family time this past week. I'll post some photos once my body isn't giving me such grief.

10 comments:

  1. wow...this is interesting? i'm wondering what the passing will feel like when you're in all this pain now? thinking of you! hope you "pass" the thing...since you're "passing" it..maybe call it "football" or your favorite football player or something ...sorry it's late. i can't think..but want you to have my sympathy anyhoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocky Balboa. That's my contribution for names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward.

    or

    Margaret.

    Depending on if your stone is a girl or a boy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try massaging the pained area with a handheld massager - it sometimes shakes things loose or gets them moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about "Fred Flin".... stone? :) I know its no laughing matter- those boogers HURT! I hope you had a great time with family over Thanksgiving, though- Oh, and that brother of yours that is mean to you but loves you anyway? Well... he's mean to his neices too.. hope that means he loves them too! :)
    Hugs!
    Jill (and Brad and Ethan too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo. I like Jill's name.

    Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what about Mick? he's a rolling stone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean, could it be a Rowland stone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to suggest Lord Voldemort, since this stone has been such a complete pain...

    but when I read Karen's ideas, I felt completely undone by her cleverness... Mick the Rowland Stone... hahahahaha (if you laugh hard enough at something, maybe Mick the Rowland will in fact become a Rolling Stone...)

    ReplyDelete