Monday, September 15, 2008

Dr. visit

Sitting there in the waiting room, the nurse comes in and asks Trevor what is wrong with him. He looks at me with a bit of alarm and isn't saying anything. Then he says to me, 'what do I say?'. Um. Trevor. We're here for something wrong. Tell the nurse what you've been feeling. He thinks another couple moments. 'I have a sore throat'. What??? I ask him, your throat is sore? Yes, when I cough. The nurse asks if he's been coughing. Trevor says, yes a little. I'm about levitating off my seat. A LITTLE? Listen my dear little son, you've kept two conventions up at night with your coughing and gasping to the point of wretch. So then he says, 'can you tell her?'. Ok, but tell me if I'm not saying something right. We get all the pertinent details out and wait maybe one more minute and in walks Dr. V. I've never met her. She asks some of the symptoms and makes nice small talk. I'm a bit nervous. I'm thinking Trevor is acting pretty good. I don't hear the chest wheeze and rattle. What if she thinks I'm a hypochondriac and bring my kid in for any little thing (which if you know me is utterly untrue). She pulls out her stethoscope. Listens to the heart and then has him do the deep breathing. Again, I think I hear nothing. She listens to about six spots, calmly takes it out of her ears and then looks straight at me and says, 'he has an unbelievable amount of wheezing and rattling in his lungs'. Why didn't you bring him in sooner? I look at my feet and quietly say, 'I didn't think it was too serious'. She says sternly, 'breathing is a good thing and he hasn't been breathing very well'. I just muttered 'oh'. Then she says, 'how long has he been congested?'. Oh about six years. SIX YEARS? YOU'VE LIVED WITH NASAL CONGESTION FOR SIX YEARS? (Again barely a whisper) yes... Then she told me it was a very good thing I brought him in. He has a terrific case of allergies/asthma. The pneumonia seems to be gone. So he's on about four different medications to get this under control - some oral and some through respirators. She did give me a nice big shopping bag of samples to use. So that was nice. Maybe she felt guilty for the stern lecture. Maybe she felt pity for me since I said we have a super-high deductible and it would all be out of pocket. Or maybe the closet was simply full of samples. Nonetheless, we came home with our goods and the coughing is subsiding. We're to have a follow-up at the end of next week and also she highly recommended me taking him to an allergist. She repeated it three times. I think she thinks I'm either stubborn, a tight wad, or a nut case. She wished us well to have a nice day!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you figured out what was wrong. Sorry you've got this gunk to deal with, Trevor. Asthma is no picnic, that's for sure. I'm like you, Linda. I'm so worried someone's going to think I'm one of "those" people, that I sometimes wait too long to get my fanny to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your last several posts, and I'm feeling so bad for Trevor. (Oh, and you too, of course!) I kept saying outloud (to nobody),"Ohhhh, poor baby, poor little man." Well, at least now he's on the mend with better days ahead for him. And don't you dare let that doc send you on a guilt trip for not taking him in earlier! We moms do a fine job of that all on our own and DO NOT need any help in that department, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to do anything to keep from going in to the Dr. too. One of my PP's is those who run for every little "symptom". Surely the Drs. think people should have SOME common sense?! It's hard to make the call on when something is REALLY serious enough. Anyway, hope it gets taken care of & he's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to talk options for his allergies/asthma give me a jingle. Timothy's Dr. in WI sent me home with a huge bottle of stuff...pink stuff...said he had asthma. i couldn't give it to him ...started treating allergies instead in a variety of ways and THEN..found a DR. who did wonders. Too many details for here of course but, however, that said...Sounds like poor Trevor need some immediate relief. now. and some resting up. Wew. But, if you want ...there is hope. Long story short? Timothy is a healthy , strong..almost fat little boy ( he used to be skin and bone..coughing all the time etc.) I just can't not tell you! But, for now? I think you've got a good Dr.! She's just doing her job. ( if i could make a guess i bet you didn't get taken to the dr. as a kid every time you were sick either?!..we often do what we grew up doing)

    ReplyDelete