Monday, September 1, 2008

The end of summer

So we're at the eve of school starting tomorrow. I'm filled with bittersweet feelings. Once again, my three dear little kids will head off into an unknown school year mixing in with the masses. They'll be in a new school and need to meet new little friends. Luckily for them they are quite outgoing and should do well. I spent an hour going through their incredibly long lists of supplies. And!!! I didn't forget anything! Whoooeee. I was sure there's be something missing. Oh, but one goof. I got Trevor a green ruler and it was supposed to be clear. Do you think his teacher will wrap my knuckes (or worse, T's!) with it?

Trevor was desperately sick in IA. And it had nothing to do with dirty underwear. I digress. Anyway, after dealing with chronic wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, I took him in today. Most likely pneumonia. Thanks a lot Marla and family! I should have been thinking. So he's on an antibiotic for the first time in his life and got an inhaler as well. Already he's more spunky and getting the glint in his eye again. He apparently had only 25% capacity for breathing when they checked around noon! Scaries.

Iowa was rich and full and incredibly wonderful. I got reacquainted with my 2nd cousin and family after a 10 year absence. I got to see my 'old' friend from little girl days. I got to laugh with another fellow blogger who I've known since she was a babe in her mother's arms. I got to visit with some people that I regard as true saints. I got to hear things that will encourage me for years to come. I was chastened with some thoughts. I got to oversee our three plus another friend fill up napkin cups. It was adorable watching them take their jobs so seriously. I got to hear the kids say after sitting for four solid days that they wanted to stay just for one more meal, one more hour, one more day if possible. That was a joy.

I said goodbye to my uncle. He's leaving again for the land he loves. He's not ours and even though he's been 'away' for most of my life, it still makes the heart ache to see him go. He does so much for so many and for that we are thankful.

I love the sound of crickets. This new home we are in has some qualities I really wouldn't choose if we built a home (namely the beautiful, dark quarter-sawn wood floor that shows the teensiest-weensiest fleck of dirt). But! It has this screened in porch off the kitchen (that I'm sitting in right now) and it is lovely. Wonderful. Peaceful. And I hear crickets. And the dog snoring at my side.

For all you Lisi lovers (and some of you Lisi tolerators), she loved the doggy kennel experience. We take her to Duane's cousin's kennel. Not your normal-run-of-the-mill kennel that they sit in until their loved ones come back. This is doggy dream world! They have a schedule. Eat. Sleep. Play groups! Lisi was with the puppy group and they romped and wrestled and played themselves into a stupor. Then they go back to their respective spots and sleep and eat and do it all over again. This kennel is a bit like a spa place. They sell essential oils for your dog! They do doggy massages. They do aromatherapy. I kid you not. It almost makes my stomach hurt. When we got home she really wasn't anxious to get out of the van. She was thinking the doggy day camp was more fun. But! She's been nice today. Not naughty. Not devious. No nipping! She doesn't know that she's in for some Boot Camp this week. Once the kids are off to school, I'm going to make a concerted effort to get her to understand a few basics of life.

I need to go back to our old pad this week to get my rhubarb and raspberries. And possibly some perennials. I can't wait to dig up my new garden next spring.

Time to pull down the lunch boxes and get them filled!

Happy school year ahead!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hope the first few days go well for your kids in the new school. It's crazy the summer is over. I love the crickets too. Your spot sounds perfect for a night like last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... so sorry Trevor is so sick, but glad you got it figured out and he's feeling better.

    And how fitting is it that you're Grandma Ethel was the one to put the final icing on our cake? What good practical advice. Be careful. And be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry we were not able to meet you all at Malcom. Its a long story as to way we can not make that our home convention. Has to do with retail jobs and holiday weeks/weekends. We will be heading down south to Paris next month, but it would of been great to meet you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you won't lack for things to do while the kids are off at school! will you be lunch room marm again? glad you had good days. i introduced myself to your uncle at ours. i'm sure that's difficult to see him go...but go he must.
    hope you're having a good day today...speaking of..i think mine are coming home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do enjoy reading your blog, Linda. I wish I would be consistently good at posting like you are. I look forward to hearing how the kids' first day of school went; all went well in our household, thankfully. And I LOVED (and could SO identify) with the unused undies story!

    ReplyDelete