Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weeds and wedding dresses

My first question. Why are there weeds? Seriously. If you took the world's population and then the total amount spent weeding whatever they do - their personal garden, a commercial patch of carrots, a rice paddy... that is a really, really lot of time wasted weeding. We read in the bible about tares in the wheat. We read about weeding things out of our lives. But why even have them? Do birds eat something of the weed that they need and thus it fills the food chain need? And another thing. We have some distinct weeds here and I pick them year after year. But you know what? I don't know their names. I know each weed variety would have a real name attached to it. But I have the rhubarb-looking one that can get HUGE and it is nearly impossible to pull up. Then there's the one that has wide leaves but the root - although it seems harmless and not deep - because it has crept a lot underground causes it to be really hard to get out. Then there's the dandelion or thistles which I actually know their name and try my best to get the root out in its entirety or it'll just come back in a matter of weeks. So enough blabbers on that. I just don't know why we can't plant things and not be distracted by stuff that wants to come in and take away from the beauty of what really should be there.

And wedding dresses. Mine has sat in the back of the girls' closet since about 1994. I never had it professionally cleaned. I never even put it under some fancy paper to preserve it. It just hung there on the hangar that was handy when I took it off. And there it is. Well, the girls - mainly Rayna has decided she loves to put on the skirt part of it and sashay around pretending she's really fancy. Is it ok for her (them) to play with it? Is that sacrilege? Should I be keeping it for my 50th? Should I harbor vast and deep sentimental feelings for it since it is a reflection of a life-altering decision I made that was one of the best choices I made? I love my husband and value our marriage. But the dress... well somehow it doesn't seem all that important.

On a side note: I think it fits lots looser today than when I wore it many years ago! Maybe that had a tone of bragging. Sorry about that.

2 comments:

  1. yes, that bragging at the end ~ that's shameful. tsk tsk. The weed with the huge leaves is burdock, and I can't pull it either. Chemical works best on that puppy. I still have my wedding dress and also Doug's grandma's dress. Love sentimental things like that, but you gotta decide what's important to you. Still have Doug's suit too. Speaking (reading) of apples, we just made about 15 gal. of apple cider this morning. Wanna come sit on my patio and sip with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the first couple chapters in Genesis tells us why there are weeds - something about sin and toiling over the land or some such thing.

    I'm not a subject matter expert on wedding dresses so take it with a grain of salt, but I say, if you're not sentimental about it, then let the kids play with it.

    ReplyDelete