Thursday, September 18, 2008

Squash thoughts

I hate cutting up raw squash to bake it. Especially the butternut variety which happens to be my favorite. I always have visions of losing two fingers or worse when trying to get through the impossibly tough skin. Then there is the eeew factor of the seeds/slime in the center. I usually just scoop it out with one of my stronger spoons. But it still gives me the willies for some reason. Not as bad as raw chicken (to me the absolute worst)though. And then I was thinking, there is no way I'd be going through all this effort for squash if it weren't for my family. Duane is by nature a very healthy eater. He likes low-fat, lots of vegetables, light on sugars kind of food. And so for him, I try to make sure we have vegetables or salads at nearly every meal. So for that, I'm thankful that I have a family to share my vegetables with. I'm sure I eat much healthier because I'm trying to please a husband and get my kids to the point where they like squash. Rayna and Trevor have been good eaters from day 1. Mira is a different story. Kinda weird since I read once that breast feeding is good for babies as it introduces them to different tastes before they even eat solids. Well it did no good in this family. R&T were not breastfed and they are nearly adventurous with their palate. Mira... well if it isn't something she's seen and knows she likes, we have to beg, plead, and push it in her mouth in order for her to try something new. Goodness! I do like squash though. Especially with a touch of vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar mixed in with a bit of butter. Yum! It'll go good with the snapper I have waiting for supper.

And now I need to walk. Because some very yummy cinnamon rolls are rising and I have every intention of eating at least one!

2 comments:

  1. oink oink. Leave some of those rolls for Duane . . . I guess he'll "have" them one way or another!! Yummy, that squash! Think I'm going out to see if I have any ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little late on this one, but if I lived closer, I'd come walk with you so I could have one of those cinnamon rolls, too. ;)

    I, too, hate that squash has such a hard outer shell. One of these days, I'm going to lose a thumb!

    ReplyDelete