Thursday, September 4, 2008

Freddy Four


One member of our family that I continue to not communicate about is Freddy. His legal name is Freddy Four. Our kids named him that nearly four years ago. Freddy was delightful to the family until the first week was over. Then he became my fish. Freddy is a sturdy fellow. Loves to get all worked up when we put a mirror next to his bowl and he flares out and tells 'the other guy' that this is his turf and get out! He races to the top at each feeding and now graces the shelf next to my kitchen sink so I can watch him deliriously swim around while I'm working. I sometimes wonder what the life expectancy of a betta would be, but as far as I know, this one should be a Grandpa by now! I threaten to the kids that I'll flush him some day. But to be honest, I kinda like the guy. He swam over in the move sitting on a neighbor boy's lap. No worse for the wear! Anyway, that will probably be the first and last post on something as silly as a fish. Unless we have an obituary to write some day...

3 comments:

  1. No, don't flush him! :) Find him a wife and then start selling their babies back to the pet store... my sis did that and now they have a roaring sideline business going. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one of thos beta fish too, and all 3 of my guys (yes, I'm including Doug here too) think it's just the funniest thing to put a mirror up to his bowl and drive him crazy! I'm not sure how long they love either, bur we've had this guy for a year or more now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Charlie has a similar story. The neighbor lady thought Kekoa needed a pet. This beta fish won't die. He's lived for over two years surviving all our attempts to encourage sudden death. I don't have a green thumb, and I guess I don't have a fish thumb, either. So it's really a wonder he's survived us. And like you. I've grown rather attached to the little fella.

    ReplyDelete