Sunday, September 14, 2008

Saturday night

9:00 - Look for kids after the lights are blinking at us in the dining shed. Time to clear out and head to our beds.

9:05 - Quick stop in bathroom, grab books from mtg. shed. Head to camper.

9:10 - Visit with Malory's mom. Talk up a storm until 9:55. She tucks in Malory in our camper (Malory wanted to sleep with us Sat. night since Rayna slept with them on Friday night)

9:58 - After much wiggles and giggles, I turn out the light on the girls. They all say goodnight.

10:05 - Mom? Malory says she doesn't feel good. I manage to get to the other end of the camper quickly. Pull her down from the bunk and ker-SPLASH, YUCK, GUCK, EEEEWWWW I can't look. Puke. Wretch. Vomit to the nth degree. Breakfast, lunch, supper! All mixed up in one terrifically terrible mess of a pile at the foot of our bed.

10:07 - Linda, I feel better. Can I go back and sleep on the bunk. Um... no. What if you get sick again (highly likely since I feel like I'm seeing a week's worth of nourishment on the floor swimming gently). Lets go take you back to your mom.

10:30 - Dropped off Malory. Got a bucket of Mr. Clean and some air freshener. Head back to camper. (Did I mention how absolutely grossed out Duane was? He bolted out of the camper like a rat off a sinking ship. Anyhoo. Get the mess cleaned up. Duane gladly marches it all (one sacrificed towel) to the burn barrel.

11:00 - Crawl back into bed. My hands still smell a bit like yuck. I washed at least three times. But the smell is there. Yuck. I keep them down by my knees as I try to go to sleep.

11:10 - Trevor is coughing. Lots. Really bad. Whistles. Worse and worse. He stops. He starts.

12:00 - 3:15 - Listening to Trevor cough. Get water. Try the inhaler. Wheezes. Coughs. Misery.

3:20 - Crying sound. Mom, I can't breathe. I leap up and try to help. Feeling helpless. I stare at him. Hold him. Rub his hair. Try to settle him so he can breathe better. Figuring out who I could borrow a vehicle from in the dead of night. We need ER. A knock on the door. An angel! And she was. In red hair and pj's. Do you need Denver's nebulizer? I do. Please. Now. She comes. Calms me and Trevor down. Puts in the medicine. Gets it started. He breathes. He relaxes. We quietly visit and watch him. It was sooooo helpful. A friend in need is a friend indeed. Thank you Sarah again!

3:30 - She leaves the machine with us.

5:00 - I use it again at Trevor's urging. Sit with him. Feeling sleepy. Very sleepy.

7:00 - Wake up suddenly after two hour's sleep. I need to shower. Pack the camper.

8:00 - Blow fuse in camper for using microwave and toaster simultaneously. You can't do that! Ok, sorry.

8:30 - Trevor pukes. In the kitchen sink.

8:45 - Trevor having breathing problems. Dry heaves again.

9:00 - Dr. Ross comes and says the pneumonia is most likely gone. But he's asthmatic.

9:35 - Realize I'm still in my Adidas sweatshirt and not at all ready for meeting. Duane frantically gets ready. The girls hair combed by the lovely niece mentioned earlier.

9:45 - They all leave for meeting. I watch Trevor sleep. Slick up camper. Load up stuff in bags.

10:10 - Wishing I were in meeting. Trevor looks very tired.

10:20 - He wakes up looking a bit better. Could you sleep in the meeting shed? I think so.

10:35 - Walk to the meeting shed. Sit down. Duane smiles sweetly at me.

10:36 - He pukes (Trevor, not Duane). I hold the pillow close. It sounds... gross. But not much coming. We tear out of there.

10:45 - Back at the camper I'm pacing. I want to hear the speaker! Trevor? Could you possibly just lay down in the dining shed? Please? I need to hear this man. He's so helpful. I need it. I think so Trevor says.

10:53 - Duane comes out during a hymn. Is everything ok? Should I stay with him now? No, just go. I think we'll try the dining shed.

11:00 - We settle in and listen. It is sooo good to be there. The room is dark in the dining shed. It is quite frankly cold. The folding chairs were wobbly. They looked about 48 years old. But they held our bottoms. Trevor slept. I shivered and listened. And it was so good. And right. And I needed to be there.

12:00 - T. goes back to the camper after I wake him. I eat a quick lunch.

1:15 - We're on the road for home. Missing the 2nd meeting. But we have a sick boy and a very, very tired mother.

But... it was worth it all.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry you had such a rough time at conv! That just sounds miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. It's most uncomfortable to watch them struggle for that breath. I just wished I would have come the first time he started coughing. Sorry.

    And for future reference, there are headphones just inside the doorway that go all the way out to the campers. They didn't have that with our first batch of kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thought of you there. i was really missing the Dells this year. Glad you got to enjoy( most ) of it for me. Gotta say that you have a pretty awesome nephew too...had lunch with him today in fact. we have guest rooms here..once you get rested up a bit come visit him ...and maybe us too? maybe? Best wishes to dear Trevor. That is soooooo scary for him not to get his breath! Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite an awful Sat night you had... thank goodness for washers!

    Dr Ross is a life-saver all right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Trevor is feeling much better, and that you all got some much needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hugs to you! I hardly got to see you, much less visit. Wasn't it all so wonderful though? Indeed, it was the best yet. And thank you for all your cleaning efforts.

    Get some rest, and I hope Trevor gets better too...or if not better right away, at least stabilized with meds that work for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Saturday night totally tops my "cleaning up cat puke once" story. Hats off to all you moms that clean up puke multiple times a day with minimal complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the pukes. We were supposed to get all of Boyden, but Kekoa woke up with a high fever on Wednesday morning so we didn't get there until Friday afternoon. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, what a night. We heard Duane bail out of the camper proclaiming sickness, but we must have sawed logs thru the rest of the fun. Glad to hear Trevor's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that was rough just to read about it. We had to leave convention once, all of us sick. That was awful.

    ReplyDelete