Thursday, October 9, 2008

Baby Talk

(Some have posted this all about their first baby. I will do it for our last since our first was a premie and that had complications. Our second and third children were adopted. And between all that we had a total of five miscarrages.)
1. Were you married at the time? Yes, for 7 years
2. What were your reactions when you found out you were pregnant? Scared silly, worried about needing another D&C, and being sad again. And secretly, very very thrilled.
3. How old were you? 36
4. How did you find out you were pregnant? Felt the familiar 'fullness' feeling up top. And something was 'missing' that should have started.
5. Who did you tell first? Duane of course. His reaction, 'Oh no!' :-) He, like me, expected it to end badly and sadly again.
6. Did you want to find out the sex? Yes. And since I was such a high risk pregnancy, we had ultrasounds every week for 32 weeks, we saw her lots and lots and lots.
7. Due date? July 6
8. Did you deliver early or late? 3 days late
9. Did you have morning sickness? Yes until 8 weeks. Then it completely went away and I found out that my estrogen was 'dangerously low' and so I had suppositories for that until week 12 or so. Then morning sickness came back with vengence. And I was thrilled as I thought this kid might have a chance! And the worse trigger for nausea? The smell of chicken. Any kind.
10. What did you crave? sub sandwiches. I'm not sure why as I can't say I'm fond of them now.
11. Who irritated you the most? I couldn't say for certain. But the most irritating thing in our case was people commenting or implying that NOW we finally will have our 'own' baby. I still cringe when I think of it as our family with Rayna and Trevor was just perfect as it was. But Mira adds spice! And humor.
12. What was your first child's sex? girl
13. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy? Ready? Nearly 50! I lost it all over a course of a year and then some. Who has time to eat with three kids under 3???
14. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy? No. But I was monitored by high risk perinatologists constantly until week 32. They were worried about pre-term labor the most.
15. Where did you give birth? Waukesha Memorial Hospital.
16. How many hours were you in labor? all night that was mild. Then just three hours in hospital after they broke my water.
17. Who drove you to the hospital? Duane.
18. Who watched? Duane... but he was watching the baseball all-star game that was in Milwaukee that day. No one else thankyouverymuch.
19. Was it natural or c-section? Natural
20. Did you take medicine to ease the pain? Yes, but only a little drip of Nubane (sp?). I'll add this note: the day or so before I went in, my sister was telling me that really labor is 'fun'. Well when I was lying there gasping for breath and feeling like I couldn't do it anymore I thought, 'Karen is really nuts!'
21. How much did your child weigh? 7 lb. 9.9 oz
22. What did you name him/her? Mira Sue. She was going to be a Sonya or Mia/Maya, but we couldn't agree on spelling.
23. How old is your last born today? 6 yrs
24. Where did your water break? At the hospital. They did it.

1 comment:

  1. Labor is fun?! I think I need to have a chat with your sister. Not exactly how I recall it, anyway. Ha.

    ReplyDelete